Chapter 45

DANICA

Standing in front of the full-length mirror, I find myself feeling a little bit of deja vu. Rather than my mom running around criticizing every detail, it is Lydia having to keep pulling out tissues and dabbing her eyes. She’s been so emotional all day and it’s been hard to not cry along with her.

“Have you heard from Amber yet?” Lydia asked.

“Yep! She was just finishing at the hair stylist and she’s on her way over.” 

Lydia frowned, “I can’t believe they forgot to put her in the appointment book also. I was so clear with them Bride, plus one maid of honor.”

I comforted my mother-in-law with a gentle pat on the back, “It is frustrating. Even when they called to confirm the other day they had both of us on the booking, but it’s okay, all done now.”

“I’m not surprised they fit her in. All the girls go to Louise’s place, so I doubt she wanted to lose any of that business. Not to mention Eden recommends her to brides.”

“I don’t want to put anybody out of business. She did my hair exactly how I imagined it, and even made the flower crown.” I look in the mirror and touch the beautiful crown that topped off my boho-chic look. 

Lydia smiled behind me, “It’s beautiful, it fits everything just perfectly.”

When Cade had re-proposed, I didn’t think much was going to change. I got a ring, which was stunning and meant so much that it was his grandmother’s, but I didn’t expect much more than that. However a couple of weeks afterward the family kept asking when we were going to have a ceremony.

We were finally convinced to have a SMALL ceremony and I insisted that Cade and I plan it because I wanted it to be my vision. Everybody helped, but they helped with the things that I wanted, not what they thought was right for us. Nobody questioned any of my choices, they were all well aware of what happened with my previous wedding. 

We decided on this September day because I wanted to get married when the leaves were oranges and yellows and the boho-chic wedding that I wanted in the beginning. In fact, I even went back to the place I went dress shopping originally and bought the lace, flowy, boho dress that made me feel beautiful, to begin with. There wasn’t a single piece of this wedding that wasn’t my style and that was the best part.

“Okay, I’m here!” Amber bursts through the door at the small cabin that we were using as the base camp for our wedding and sure enough her hair looked perfect, even though it had to be fit in last minute. “You look amazing, Danica. Let me get into my dress and then I’ll help with the finishing touches.”

“Do you two got this? I should probably go check on my boys.”

“Make sure he tucks in his shirt,” I teased her.

“I’ll try my best, but I still can’t totally control that one.” With one more hug and tissue dab in the insides of her eyes, Lydia exited the cabin and headed to the other area where the boys were getting ready. In her light brown, tea-length dress, Amber excited the bedroom and did a little twirl.

“How do I look?”

“Like a woodland fairy.”

She laughed and then pulled me away from the mirror and made me do a twirl of my own. “Well if I’m the fairy, I guess that makes you the princess, on your way to meet your prince charming and become the queen.”

The final thing that Amber did was wrap a ribbon sash around my dress which just made everything perfect. I picked up my bouquet, a mixture of wildflowers, and just stared in the mirror. This was what I always imagined for my wedding day. I felt like myself, Cade made me feel like myself.