Scene 9: Plans for Power

After the meeting, Lex Luthor had had his private jet prepared for a flight to Jump City. Whoever this alien girl was, she was still there. Also, he had to see an old friend. Undoubtedly, he, like the rest of the nation, had heard the news about the crater.

After touching down in the city, Luthor, got into a car and drove himself just outside of Slade Industries, one of the many corporate industries in commission in America. The company's CEO and founder, Wilson Slade, had been his friend for as long as he could remember. Now they needed to talk again.

As soon as the guard saw who was driving up to gate, he straightened and had the gate opened. Luthor then wasted no time entering the building and telling the woman at the desk he needed to see Mr. Slade. Like the guard, the receptionist made the call and said that the CEO would see him momentarily. Luthor was grateful for Slade telling his employees to expect visits from an important presidential candidate such as himself. After all, what were friends for?

When Slade opened the door to his office and invited Luthor in, the pair of them hugged each other in greeting.

"Lex, how are you, my friend? I've talked to dozens of people and they're all saying the same thing. You are the face of America's future." His expression became serious. "But I think I know why you're really here."

Luthor nodded. "I need to know what progress you're making on the classified War Suits. There were several politicians up politicians up my butt on that idiotic Alien Integration Act. Now another has crashed here in town, and everything's escalating even more. Those sons of guns are having a field day, I can tell you."

"So has my entire staff," said Slade coldly. "I had to come down personally and tell them all to get back to work. Normally, I can just send an aide down and have them threaten to have people fired. No such luck today, I'm afraid. I don't have to remind you that Wayne Enterprises is practically killing me."

Of course people in Jump City would be talking more than anyone else in the country. It was a miracle no one had been killed by the crater. The pedestrians here had to be in a state of panic.

"Anyway, how are the War Suits coming along?" Luthor asked.

Slade sighed. "We successfully got a dozen more manufactured this week. Unfortunately, in terms of an ideal power source, we still got nothing to work with." He smiled. "Have you had any luck locating that Kryptonian yet? You preparing to show the world his true colors once you take office?"

"I've put my plans to find him on hold," said Luthor. "For now, I'm spending my time here winning over the state's vote for election. In between that, I'll be working with you to find this alien girl."

"I'm guessing it's not because you're concerned for my personal safety," said Slade. "Why are you interested in her, apart from proving your point about scrapping this new Integration Act?"

This was the moment Luthor had been prepared for. "She didn't fall off a building, she entered the atmosphere and survived. She has a power. Not only can I use the fact that she fled to my advantage politically, but if we can get our hands on her, you just might be able to get your hands on the power source for your War Suits. Then you can rise above anything Wayne Enterprises produces from then."

A moment of silence passed, which was finally broken by Slade. "Honestly, I can't tell if you're talking to me as a friend or a politician; however, you know I don't care either way. What exactly do you need me to do, Lex?"

"I'll meet with you later this evening," replied Lex, "and bring Victor Payton with you. We're going to need his help."

Victor Payton was Slade's head of security who used to work for the government. In his government career, he had seen it all, from communists to aliens, though most of the latter were actually from Mexico instead of the far reaches of space.