~Chapter 14~

Hey guys, sorry for the late(super) update, that little burst of on time updates was during my spring break, so now that I've back in school for the rest of the year I'm trying to write regularly but honestly I just suck at having a set update schedule😃 (Once I'm on summer break-which is super soon-I think I'll have new chapters written faster!)

Thanks for reading and enjoy this chapter :)

Aelia POV (no wayyyy a POV other than Sophie???)

As soon as she heard the glass shatter, Aelia dropped to the floor. Even if the Neverseen training had taught her nothing, she still had self-preservation instincts.

Small shards of glass rained down against Aelia like snowflakes on the ground, cutting any of her exposed skin. She hissed at the contact, and waited for the shower of glass to stop before turning her head to look at the others.

Alvar was crouched with his back to a bookshelf, pistol in his hand with Ruy at his side. The two boys had their heads turned away from Aelia as they exchanged words she couldn't hear. Ruy unsheathed his sword and crept along the side of the bookshelf, making sure to keep out of view before advancing any further.

The silence in the room was more deafening than the previous shattering of the glass, the only sound being their heavy breathing.

Aelia pressed her back to one of the shelves and held her dagger in a reverse grip, her head turned to the left to listen for any potential threats. After a few empty seconds, she crept out from the shelter of the bookshelves and let her eyes scan the room.

Her eyes met nothing but the glass shards on the carpet.

In her peripheral vision she could see Sophie on the ground. Her back was against the wall and she was holding her left arm with several cuts coating her tanned skin.

Since Aelia heard and saw no threat, she made her way over to the blonde.

"Are you badly hurt?" she questioned.

Sophie met her clear blue eyes, "I don't think so, just a lot of small cuts."

Aelia nodded, extending a hand to help her up. The two girls found their way to Alvar and Ruy, careful to keep mostly out of sight in case of a threat.

The group of four stood shielded between two shelves, assessing the situation before they made any sudden decisions.

"Sophie, stay here for a minute," Alvar spoke, making eye contact with the other two. "Ruy and Aelia, come with me to check the rest of the library."

The blonde sat down and rested on the ancient book shelves, giving only an exasperated nod.

Aelia, Alvar and Ruy moved into the open light of the library window—or what was left of it. There didn't seem to be any trace of a person or possible threat, the only thing concerning was the source of the gunshot.