Chapter 9 | More than a home

The last time Minji and I went on a brief "date," as Hanni likes to call it, was just over a week ago. I can unsurely state that at least something more was developed during that time.

We used to all go home together, the six of us, ensuring sure nobody was left behind. If one of us went home a little later, we would always wait for each other. But during the last few days, Minji has been the only person I've been taking home with me.

I've always been fond of the idea of doing things as a group. It made me feel happy. I didn't know that the more I spend my time with them, the more their features start to blur until all I can remember is a piece of warm, welcoming eyes and laughter that feels like home. For me, my friendship with them feels like home, and I'm nothing else but thankful for them, yet I can't compare it to the feeling I get when I'm with Minji.

Now I find myself sitting desolately, pencil in my hand–listening to the gentle breeze the world outside of my window offers. I'm doing my greatest possible effort to prepare for Minji.

It wasn't work that needed arduous efforts but it is something that I need to be perfect. Unfortunately for me, it is already December 18. With only a few days left to prepare my gift for her, it feels like I am trying to race with time.

'Maybe I should ask Hanni or Hyein about this'

December 18, 20XX

We just ended our physical education meeting with our teacher, and now Hyein, Hanni, and I are all here in the school courtyard getting water. Haerin, Danielle, and Minji were still upstairs in the gymnasium doing something our teacher asked them to do. Because of that, I took the rare chance to ask them about something that had been bothering me for days.

"Best gift to offer her?" Hyein asked out loud

Hanni followed. "Duh, bro what else? Of course, tell her that you like her!"

I stare at her with utmost disbelief.

'Maybe it wasn't the best idea to ask them after all...'

"Hey! Don't look at us like that. How about this, we'll have a Christmas Celebration event fiesta–something whatever they call it. Use that opportunity to celebrate with her " Hanni suggested like it was the most obvious thing on the planet.

"I know about that but I can't"

"Huh, what do you mean you can't?" brows furrowing to my answer as she replied confusingly.

"She meant the confessing part Unnie"

"Oh–huh, wait hold on, are you not planning to confess to her? After all of your efforts? Come on now, don't tell me you're scared?"

"The mighty intimidatingly smart and talented volleyball captain of our school is scared to confess to her best friend, the school president, Kim Minji?" Hanni taunted me again but with a teasing grin this time.

I almost cringed with how it sounded, too accurate, too real for my liking. I know that these days I wasn't particularly doing anything to hide my feelings for her, doing whatever I could to make my feelings obvious, and she wasn't rejecting any of it at all–so why am I so scared now?

Is it the fact that she could be misinterpreting all of those advances as anything but romantic?

'Am I scared that maybe she is aware but is too kind to reject me because I'm her friend? Am I–'

"Unnie..."

I was stopped from my own thoughts when Hyein's voice made its way to my ear.

"We know what you're thinking about right now, and we're telling you that's not the case at all. We might not be able to speak for Minji unnie but we can say that whatever you're thinking right now isn't the case."

"Hanni unnie didn't mean to pressure you or anything like that. She's encouraging you to confess. Trust us unnie, you have nothing to lose"

"But our friendship-"

"Hey" Hanni made her voice firm.

She dusted herself and stood up from the ground she was sitting on just seconds ago and made her way to me.

"Dude trust us on this one alright? Nothing like whatever your thinking is trust and I am certain she likes you back too and you're just too dense to notice it. Think of it, it took you years to figure out that you like her!"

She laughed and swung her arms to tap my shoulders

"That's how dense you are so if I were you I'd take that opportunity to confess to her and tell her my undying love for her"

"So what else are you doing there standing? Let's go back to the love of your life, she might be missing you a bit too much now. Let's go Hyein" She finished, giggling.

"You guys go first I'll follow quickly"

"Mhm'kay" they replied

'Maybe I should confess already..'