2: the throne room

Today I thought that I was going to be sitting on my bed working on the mechanism that I have stashed away from my father. Instead, I am now sitting here in the library at a long table surrounded by piles of thick books.

For some reason, my father really wanted me to learn about the history of Ashten. Most of them are pretty boring, not surprisingly, seeing as it is mostly just documents about more law related things.

The book I'm currently reading is pretty all right. It's talking about the time before the castle was built, and soon after the village. Apparently Ashten used to be on a volcano, or at least maybe there was a volcano near it. Other than that the book was pretty boring.

I ran a hand through my hair and looked away from the book. Looking around at the room itself, there are large bookcases almost chock full of books. Some items are crammed in between books for no reason in particular. A bar winding all the way around the large bookcases for the ladder.

There were a few other people sitting at the table, as well as a librarian at a desk not too far away from the door. I still find it crazy that this Castle can fit almost an entire library in it. I sighed and got back to reading my book.

《Imagine this in a fancy font》
After the time of the volcano, demons flooded the land. Ash demons, however, were not happy with their brethren of the other demons. They scourged the land and fought the weak and innocent. Ash demons made a fortress and protected all that shun the ways of the violent. Taking inspiration from the other species' kingdoms, the ash demons made their own. By the people's decision they crowned the first ash demon king, the one who stood up against the rest; king Fycrin. He allowed not just other non-violent demons, but also others who were wronged by them. King Fycrin helped build the surrounding town, and established a court of laws which encompassed: Hydrao'quinn, Adazoga, Smical, Mavaca, Hayesphasia, Halda Jaden, Bendigo, Elbarnes, Clarkmenace, Smiwand Aumbutler, Owensoddy, Pricezog-

I zoned out as I read the book.
How am I going to get Tango out? I could sneak in at night and get the key to unlock his cell, but then if a guard spots us we would both be on the run. What if I get a whole bunch of hermits on my side, and then we sneak him out. No that's too suspicious, and he would also have nowhere to go.

The librarian came over and tapped me on the shoulder, "Prince Impulse, I understand that the kingdom's history can be complicated but can you please stop shaking the table. Many others are trying to work and it is very hard if the table is constantly shaking." The librarian was very stern, and I hadn't even realized that my leg was bouncing.

"Sorry," I said, moving my leg in a position that it wouldn't shake. He walked off and let me continue my work.

How about repaying his debt, or taking him to court and persuading the judges to let him out. No, that wouldn't work. What if his debt is massive and I can't pay it off? I don't think I am allowed to bribe the judges, and I don't want to sit through another court session.

"Ahem." I looked over at the voice and saw the librarian with folded arms and an annoyed look. I looked down and saw my leg had returned to its original spot and was shaking again. I nervously chuckled and stopped my leg. He walked away again, I sighed and looked back to the book. I better read more if I want to get out of this library.

—---------

"So wait, you're telling me that at some point in the history of Ashten there might have been a Volcano!?" Rhyme exclaimed, writing it down in her notepad. "Yup," I replied dryly, still in my own thoughts. Rhyme said some other stuff but I didn't hear it.

"Impy What's wrong?" Rhyme asked, tilting her head.

"Hm? Oh uh. Nothing," I said.

"Uh huh sure......" Rhyme looked at me suspiciously, and after a beat of silence asked "What happened?"