The Party

The party takes place in a sizable, luxurious event hall with high ceilings and elegant and sophisticated decoration. The lighting is dim, with soft and warm lights that create an atmosphere of elegance and glamour.

The music is a mix of popular Western hits and Afrobeats, and can be heard throughout the hall, encouraging guests to dance and enjoy themselves. Attendees, mostly well-dressed men and women, wear elegant evening suits and long dresses, some with lace, glitter, or sequin details.

The tables are decorated with elaborate floral arrangements and covered with silk tablecloths and linen napkins. The food, a combination of African rice dishes with sauces, is served on carefully decorated plates with a high cuisine presentation. Guests converse in groups while enjoying the food and drinks, which include champagne, wine, and cocktails.

In the center of the hall is a large dance floor, where some guests move to the rhythm of the music while others watch and sway slightly to the beat. The hall's decoration is sophisticated and glamorous, with details such as velvet curtains, crystal chandeliers, and a large LED screen projecting dazzling images.

Djenaba approached Junior, her friend whom she has known since childhood, while keeping an eye on Fatu. "Do you know that girl who's recording videos? The one who's with your friend, Aminata, I think her name was," Djenaba asked, trying to sound casual.

"What girl?" said Junior. He started looking around the crowd. "Oh, that one," Junior shrugged. "No, I've never seen her before. Why? Do you think she's pretty?"

Djenaba blushed. "What nonsense are you talking about?" Although she tried to hide it, Junior knew there was more behind Djenaba's response.

"Come on, Djenny, don't play dumb. It's obvious she caught your eye," Junior said, winking at her.

Djenaba shrugged, trying to maintain an indifferent attitude. "Well, maybe she did, but it's not a big deal."

Junior smiled.

As Fatu watched people dancing in the hall, her mind wandered for a moment, and she found herself thinking about Djenaba. She found her interesting, with her dreadlocks and light brown eyes, lighter than the rest of the people at that party. She had noticed how Djenaba looked at her from time to time, and although she hadn't spoken to her, she felt she was attracted to her.

At one point, some teenagers decided to leave the parking lot, including Fatu. She met her friend Aminata in the parking lot. "Hey, do you know the girl who was dancing with the guy in the red shirt?" Fatu asked.

Aminata thought for a moment and then replied, "Oh yeah, I know her. But we're not friends, I've just seen her at a few community parties."

Fatu nodded, interested in knowing more about Djenaba. "Do you know anything else about her?"

Aminata replied, "I don't know her name, but... well, I know she's Junior's friend, and I think she's cool. I've also seen her at some protests with a megaphone in hand, I think she's an activist or involved in those things."

Fatu nodded again, grateful for the information. But then Aminata added something else.

"However, she's a bit strange," Aminata said with an enigmatic smile.

Fatu frowned, not understanding what Aminata meant. "Strange? Why do you say that?"

Aminata shrugged. "I don't know, people say she's queer. You know, she's a lesbian or something."

"Girls, let's go into the lounge, they're playing a great song," interrupted another young woman who was in the parking lot.

Fatu spent the rest of the night thoughtful about what Aminata had said.