Trying To Be Happy

Days went by, but Fatu's emotional state remained the same. She was in her room, lying on her bed, staring into space. She had ignored several calls and messages from Djenaba, who was becoming increasingly concerned for her friend. Although Fatu had broken her heart that day at the party, Djenaba wouldn't let their friendship break too.

Fatu felt trapped in her mind, not knowing how to deal with the conflicting feelings she had for Babakar. The sound of the phone interrupted her once again, but she decided not to answer it, needing time to think.

Meanwhile, Djenaba was determined to find out what was going on with Fatu and went to her house. Upon arriving, she rang the doorbell several times, but there was no answer. She insisted once more, and Fatu finally appeared at the door, surprised to see Djenaba.

"What are you doing here, Djenaba?" asked Fatu, clearly uncomfortable.

"I've been trying to reach you, but you weren't answering. Are you okay?" replied Djenaba with a note of concern in her voice.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just needed some time to think," Fatu replied, trying to hide the truth.

Djenaba was not fooled by Fatu's evasive answer and asked her what was going on. Fatu sighed and told her that Babakar had called her family in Guinea and told them what had happened. He had also called her father, demanding an explanation of why she wanted to ruin this great economic opportunity. "And now my grandmother is saying that I'm going to get married anyway, that if I refuse to marry like the other day, Babakar will take care of buying me a one-way ticket back." Djenaba listened attentively, offering her help and suggesting that she talk to Imam Mustafa to resolve the problem.

"I don't know if I'm ready to do that," said Fatu, hesitant.

"I know it's not easy, but you have to do it. Plus, if you don't ask Mustafa for help to make them see reason, the wedding will take place with or without him, and you won't have another chance," replied Djenaba decisively.

Fatu nodded, convinced by Djenaba's words. At that moment, Djenaba approached her, holding her hands in a gesture of support.

"Fatu, I know this isn't easy for you. But you're not alone, I'm here to help you with whatever you need," Djenaba said sincerely.

Fatu felt overwhelmed by the situation and, without thinking twice, hugged Djenaba.

"Thank you, Djenaba. I don't know what I would do without you," sobbed Fatu.

Djenaba hugged her back, returning the gesture of affection.

"I'll always be here for you," said Djenaba lovingly.

The two girls looked into each other's eyes, in a moment of connection and empathy. After a moment, Djenaba separated from her and suggested they go to her house, where they could talk calmly and call Mustafa.

At Djenaba's house, they both sat on the couch while Djenaba called Mustafa to ask for an appointment. Fatu felt more relaxed, knowing she had Djenaba by her side. While they waited, the two young women became accomplices in their situation and started talking about personal matters.

Between laughter and confidences, both felt closer than ever. Fatu realized that, despite all her problems, Djenaba would always be there for her. Meanwhile, Djenaba felt lucky to have someone like Fatu in her life. "... that dude is crazy, the other day he asked Estela out and ..." Fatu interrupted Djenaba's speech with a passionate kiss. Djenaba knew that Fatu was probably not in love with her, but she felt an excitement that kept her from moving away from her. They started to kiss more and more passionately, it seemed that they were about to move on to "the next phase".