9 - Alone Together

Click.

Russia's heart stopped. The gun didn't shoot. Russia looked up, eyes widened as America sighed standing up slowly and turning around to face him.

"Russia, do you take me for a fool?" America asked softly. Russia watched as he reached into his pocket pulling out a handful of bullets, a painful expression across his face.

"I think you're missing these," America released the bullets, letting them fall onto the cement with soft clinks.

Russia didn't know what to say. He didn't know what to do. He stood there arm extended, gun point still held to America's forehead. America laughed softly walking forward, almost touching the barrel of the gun to his head.

"Do you treat all your victims nicely before you kill them? I have to say I really did for a second believe that maybe. Just maybe. You were being genuine with me."

Russia avoided his eyes, quickly pulling the trigger again.

Click.

Nothing.

"You are. That desperate to get rid of me huh?" America asked, sighing.

Russia didn't respond.

America reached in his pocket pulling out one last bullet. "How about this? I'll let you off me. If that's truly what you want. I'll let you do it."

Russia raised his brow, absolutely confused as to what the American was suggesting.

"But," America started, "tell me why. Tell me why you saved me. Tell me why you tried so hard to make today so fun. Tell me why even after we slept together and laughed together, you still want to kill me... do you even have a choice?"

Russia pursed his lips, unable to respond.

"ANSWER ME," America screamed. Russia immediately pulled the trigger again.

Click.

A tear rolled down his face.

America looked up at him.

"Why Rus."

Russia sucked in his breath through his teeth. "You won't understand Stars. Give me the bullet."

"Answer me first."

"I don't have to." Russia responded.

America clenched his teeth. In a blink of an eye, he twisted the gun out of Russia's hand and kicked it off to the side.

Russia blinked, surprised by the sudden action.

"Russia I don't understand what you want. You treat me with so much affection, yeah I've noticed I'm not blind, but whenever I try to talk to you, you push me away." America took a step forward.

Russia flinched but didn't move.

"I know we've only known each other for a couple of days, and we had a rough start but... I can see there's so much more to you than being just a criminal. You want something. I know you do. And for some reason, you see me in it don't you?"

Russia looked away. Slowly he shoved his hands down his pocket just thinking.

"And for some reason, you don't want me there at the same time." America finished.

Russia sighed looking up. America was standing right in front of him. America reached up with his working hand hesitating for a second before touching Russia's cheeks.

Russia closed his eyes.

"Free." He said finally. "I want to be free. From my life."

America considered it for a second before pulling Russia down by the collar of his shirt. "I could show you freedom." He said.