CHAPTER TWELVE: The Accused

We drive to the city jail – an isolated building that is at least a hundred times bigger than my house. In this building, thousands of people are imprisoned for crimes they committed. Many of them are imprisoned here for crimes they are accused of having committed. Justice really is not served properly in New World. Well, that is why I am here. I do not accept cases that make me defend the bad guys. I will never side with the bad ones. If I win the case of the bad guy, then I will make the good guy be imprisoned. I think other lawyers should be like me, fighting for what is right, fighting for real justice. Other lawyers accept cases for money. They won't care if the innocent ones suffer the punishment ought to be received by their clients. For them, as long as they receive generous amounts of money, they will accept cases like that.

                I noticed that we have been quiet for a while. This silence inside my car is awkward. I looked at Ethel and noticed that she's quite tensed. "Hey, are you alright?"

                "Yes," she whispered.

                "Really? You don't seem like it. Tell me what's wrong."

                "This place. It's all wrong. I just can't... I just believe that my daughter's living here now."

                "Not for long. Do not be pessimistic. You've got me as her lawyer. You know what I am capable of. The whole of New World knows," I said. I want to comfort her in the way that I comforted her long ago. But doing that does not seem right anymore.

                She did not reply to what I said. I was just trying to cheer her up. I think I failed, then. Ugh. You just can't share even a pinch of good vibes to a person who feels nothing but desperation.

                I parked my car just in front of the prison. We got out of it and walked towards the entrance, side by side. I don't bother to say anything to her because I know that it will just like be talking to my own hand.

                We passed through some sort of x-ray machine to let them check if we have any deadly weapons. I let Ethel take the lead since she's the one who knows where to go. As we walk towards the assistance desk, I notice the policemen staring at me. Others are whispering things that I don't hear but I am certain that they're talking about me. Others smirk at me. Others laugh at me. I ignore them and pretend that they do not exist.

                "Back in the business, huh?" a policeman by my left shouted. Policemen behind him laughed. "Better win this one, Cooper."

                "Huh. You'll see," I boasted.

                "See what, huh? You walking out of the Court?" and a series of laughter followed.

                "You'll see yourself bowing before me."

            "So you want us to worship your failure?" he asked. I do not know what to reply. "Poor Mrs. Cooper. His son was so great that he won every case he defended. But when it was her case that he defended, he failed. And then she died in the prison, not having a last glace at her precious son," he said.

                I feel my blood rushing to my head. I am tensing up. Any time now, I will punch this guy's face and make him regret saying all of those things in front of me.

                "Dylan," Ethel called out. "Let's go."

                "Right, Dylan. Walk away from us. Just like you did when you failed to defend your mother," the policeman said.