CHAPTER THREE: Humans in the Tubes

"Good morning Ellie," says a tall figure standing by the window, opening the curtains, allowing the sunlight to enter my not-so-big room. I opened my eyes to clearly see this tall figure by my window. The silhouette smiles at me. I smiled back.

"'Morning mom," I said after I yawned. The silhouette belonged to my mom. Ethel is her name. She's thirty five years old now. She's a full time housewife. She's a very caring person.

Since my dad works for the government, he almost never comes home. Though I couldn't feel the presence of my father, my mother covers it all up. I sometimes think that my father's dead and my mother is a widow. Yeah. That's how I feel. Maybe I think like that to stop my longing for him. If I think that if he's gone forever, I will never seek his presence.

"Get up and fix your bed. Breakfast is almost ready," mom said with a smiling face. She's the best mom in the world. The smile on her face never fades. It's like she doesn't know how to be angry. I always admire her for being like that. I want to be like her but I just can't. I don't know. Maybe I'm just not like her. Maybe I'm the stronger version of her. Or maybe I'm like my father. Just maybe. Because I don't even know him. I don't even know if he knows my full name or my birthday or anything about me. If I got the best mom in the world, well, I got the worst dad. Thank God.

 ***

"How's school lately?" she asked while preparing my breakfast.

"Nothing important," I replied.

"Really?" she asked. And then she looked at me like she wants to hear more from me. "There is something you are not telling me."

"Oh, all right. Mrs. Collins phoned you, right?"

"Oh, yes. And girl, you are in big trouble!"

"But mom – I tried! I tried to keep my temper low but she – she is –  she is just a horrible person!" I insisted.

"Talking to your teacher like that – it makes you a horrible person, too! I do not know why you keep treating other persons like that! I never raised you to be like that!"

"But you don't understand! How would you feel if I insisted on knowing your thoughts that are supposed to be yours only?!?"

"Well, in the first place, she will never insist in knowing your thoughts if your focus was on the subject and not on Bill Dillington." That stopped me from opposing her. She was right. But – but – forget it for Christ's sake.

"Now I have to go there later and defend you in every way I can. How many more times will this thing happen, huh? How many more disciplinary actions will you receive before improving your behavior?"

I ignore her. I really am not in the mood for a lecture. Why am I always the bad guy? Mother knows best. Can't I know what is best for me? I have my own mind. I am free to do everything I want but everything I do will be a cause for punishments. I hate it. I just wish that I can grow up quick and be independent. I don't mean to leave my mom. I am just tired of being scolded and being the bad guy when in the first place, I am just expressing myself. I want to reach the age of eighteen already so I can avoid being scolded.

She kept silent after she said that. She knew that she made me upset already. And I know that she knows that I am to be frightened of when I become upset. That is one thing I like about my mom. When she knows that what she is saying is sinking in my mind already, she will stop and let me do things that I ought to do – say things of hatred in my mind.