CHAPTER FOURTEEN: Desperate Measures

I reached for my alarm clock and turned it off. Damn. It's 6:00 in the morning – too early to wake up. I want to lie down again and drift off to sleep but I reminded myself that I am back in the business now. I have waited for so long for this opportunity and all I need to do is to be grateful for it. So I stood up and went to my bathroom to have a quick shower.

                I still can't get over what happened last night. I was very close to finding the evidence. I was very close to solving this mystery if it weren't for that damn Roger who is also the mastermind of this chaos. It is the government that we are going against with. I really am finding it hard to solve this because first, evidences are still hiding. Second, the masters behind this are so careful.

                When I finished taking a shower, I wore my coat and called Ethel through the phone.

                "Hello?" her voice asked.

                "Ethel, meet me at the prison. Around 8. I've got something important to tell you," I said. I didn't think of those words. They just came out of my mouth without my knowledge. It may be rude of me because I could fetch her just like what I did yesterday. But it doesn't seem right today. I think my encounter with Roger is the reason. Maybe I don't want to tell Ethel my confirmation that Roger's the one behind this mess because she might find it hard, although they already suspect that animal.

                "Okay," is all she managed to say.

                After I called Ethel, I called Booga. "Good morning, Dylan."

                "Booga, we'll be there at eight.  By 'we' I mean Ethel and I. She might come first because I will not fetch her," I said.

                "That's too gentleman of you, brother."

                "Nah. I guess I just can't bring myself to talk about Roger with her," I explained.

                "So you are lessening your time with her to avoid bringing up that Roger topic?"

                "Maybe," I sighed.

                "Well, when you're at the prison, don't expect me to be so friendly with you, too. They – other policemen – might suspect something. We don't want that. Clear?" he asked.

                "Crystal."

                "See you later then."

                Honestly, I do not know what to do today. There is no development in the case. For a second, I felt my heart beat against my chest. I might fail. Again.  But I don't want to. I can't afford to.

                I don't know what to tell Ethel when I see her. I don't know what to tell her if she asks questions. I need help. Seriously.

                Ethel's already in the prison when I arrived. She's waiting under a waiting shed just in front of the prison.

                "I'm sorry I came late," I apologized.

                "No worries. I just arrived about three minutes ago. You're not too late," she smiled. "Anyway, why are we here?"

                "Well, don't you want to see Ellie?" I asked. Not the best response.

                "Of course I do! I want to ask if there is some development in the case. That's what I meant," she humbly said.

                Oh no. It's the question that I dread to hear. "I don't want to make you lose hope but... there isn't. Not yet. I want to get more information. From Ellie, of course. And I think that if you're with her, we can extract proper information from her. You know... she's not in a ... stable condition."