CHAPTER FIFTEEN: The Evidence

"We're going to fetch Paylor," I said.

"Who is that?" Ethel asked.

"Paylor Marie Fulcher. She is a friend. She's the psychiatrist that I was talking about yesterday. She will help us in the case," I explained.

"Oh. Alright," she whispered. "Dylan, why are we doing this? I mean, do you really think that that friend of yours can help us?"

"Of course. If we can't get Ellie to speak properly, maybe Paylor can. After all, she's a psychiatrist. She knows how to manipulate a person through words."

"So you still don't believe my daughter, huh?" Ethel asked.

I know that my reply would mean something bad to her. "At some points, yes."

"I apologize for the way Ellie acted in front of you," Ethel said as she bowed her head. It's as if she is ashamed of the things that her daughter did. It's as if she's apologizing to me for getting me in this mess.

"No worries. I fully understand. She's been through a lot of stress in a very young age. Actually, I find her strong," at least, according to Paylor.

Ethel didn't say anything after that. She just remained quiet for the rest of the trip to Paylor's house. I find Ethel's silence good because I don't have to deal with her cries – with her hopelessness. Honestly, I think that Ethel doesn't believe that I can win her daughter's case. She doesn't even ask about the steps that I take to solve this problem. I guess all she does now is prepare herself for the lifetime imprisonment of her daughter. I know that it is something selfish of me to think this way. But it is alright as long as she doesn't know what I am thinking. I feel guilty right now.

When we arrived at Paylor's house, we saw her standing outside her house already. She walked towards the car and greeted me a good day. "Who's this pretty woman with you?" she asked.

"Good morning Paylor. This pretty woman with me is Ellie Jane Winterhill's mother. Her name is Ethel Winterhill," I said. Ethel smiled at her and Paylor nodded at her. Paylor opened the door of my car and entered.

"Good. I thought she is your wife," Paylor said. I looked at her in the rear-view mirror and frowned. She just gave me a teasing smile. When I looked at Ethel, she frowned at me. Now I know that she's offended and that Paylor has a bad impression on her. God, this is awkward.

Paylor signaled me to start driving and so, I did. I drove fast because I want this awkwardness to end. Both of the women did not talk. I did find Paylor's silence strange. Paylor is a very talkative woman. But now, it seems like she's a deaf-mute.

We arrived at the prison. We got out of the car and walked our way towards the gray building surrounded with thick iron gates. Everything about this prison seems awful. Everything in the prison is dark. Even the sky above is gray. It is like life is being sucked out of this place.

We entered the building and Booga welcomed us. "Good morning Dylan, Ethel, and –" he stared at Paylor and frowned. But something in his eyes says that he recognizes my psychiatrist friend. I looked at Paylor and she is doing the same.

"Ah... Booga. This is Paylor Marie Fulcher. She is a psychiatrist. She'll help us with Ellie's case," I said.

"Of course," Booga said. His eyes are still fixed at Paylor.

"Ah... Booga, we need to talk to Ellie now," I said.

"Of course. Go to the Visiting Area and wait for me there." He tapped my right shoulder and walked away. I led the women with me to the Visiting Area.

"Paylor, let me ask a question. Do you happen to know Booga?" I asked.

"Of course. You told me his name yesterday," Paylor said.