CHAPTER SIX: The Chase

Three days have passed since that traumatic experience happened. And even though three days have passed already, I still remember it. That horrible thing I saw. I couldn't get it off of my mind. It's been haunting me since I saw it. I couldn't even sleep. It seems like the humans in the tubes are waiting for me to sleep so they could attack me and then eat me! The green liquid they're floating in splashed all over my body! Ugh. I always see that. I don't know if they're real or just a product of my rich imagination. And then there are the people who are out there, searching for me, waiting for me to come out so they can assassinate me. As a result, I was locked here in this basement with nothing but darkness. Every inch of my room is filled with it, adding terror to my already broken mind. This darkness is killing me.

I rose from the bed but I don't know why. I want to do something but I am not sure what. I want to breathe in fresh air but they won't let me. I want to go to school but I am in danger there. I want to see light but it is opened from the outside. I want to bring back my life but they won't bring it back to me. I want to... want to... to... fight. Yes, fight! I want to fight! That is one thing they can't prevent me from doing. But how can I fight if... if...

Suddenly, a flash of light blinded me. The door opened and a stressed Theresa made her way in my small room - my prison. Theresa carries a tray of food, as always. Since I was imprisoned here, it was Theresa who delivers my food. Mother comes here every morning. She goes home before noon. She said that it might be too obvious if she will be here every day, every night. She also has to come home for my fucking father. He might suspect her of knowing where I am. So, I am... glad to have Theresa as my best friend. She never lost patience even if sometimes, I disregard what she's doing for me.

"How was your sleep?" she asked.

"Are you kidding?" I asked.

"What? I am just asking."

"Better not to," I bitterly replied. It's true. She knows that I cannot sleep since that incident happened. She keeps asking me that and I always answer her that I cannot sleep. I hate people. They're idiots.

HEY! I shouted at myself. Try not to be hard on her. She's your best friend. She's just concerned about you. I don't know what's wrong with me. I've been hard on people I interact with since that incident. And the people I'm being hard on are the people who care about me - mom, Theresa, and Irene. Why can't I process on my mind that these people also suffer because of me?

"Ahmmm... I brought you food," she said with a very soft voice. I think she got shocked by the way I talked to her that she humbles herself and acted like she's a servant of mine.

"I don't want any," I said. It's true. Except from the fact that I cannot sleep, I also lost my appetite. I don't know why but it seems like all of the things that a normal person does is being sucked out of me by a force I do not even know.

"Ellie, you have to eat."

"I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"Why do you have to force me to do something that I don't want to?" I said with a raised voice.

Theresa stared at me for a moment. Theresa's weak. Just raise your voice at her and she will think that she has done something to make you angry at her. "Look, I am just concerned."

"You don't have to! I can do things on my own! I am still me! I am still me! Why can't you fucking see that, huh? I am tired of being your prisoner!" I yelled. Blood is rushing along my veins; sweat is all over my face. My hands are clenched, ready to punch someone.

Oh my God. I just yelled at Theresa. I just became angry at her. Oh, no. What have I done? What was I thinking? Stupid.

"Why can't you also see that we're doing everything to keep you in a good condition? Why can't you see that we are keeping you safe? Ellie, wake up! It's not only you who's suffering here! We suffer, too! Every second of our lives is filled with fear because any time, the persons hunting you might come here and take us down one by one! We've done a lot of sacrifices just for you! And then what? What are you doing? You are just wasting them! If you see yourself as our prisoner, then why don't you get out of this freaking prison? Escape it! That's what you want right? You don't want us to take care of you, right? You don't need us, right? Fine! Leave us and face your problem alone! I've done my part," Theresa shouted. She put down the tray of food and left without closing the door.