CHAPTER ELEVEN: LUNA

I stepped out of my den with a yawn this morning, and saw Florence fluttering nervously over to Griffara.

"First Blackeye, now Dirtclaw, Poisoneye and Mistcatcher?" asked the teal blue bird, settling on Griffa's shoulder.

I automatically scanned the area for those four, but they were nowhere in sight. How did I not notice? Then again, they couldn't have been gone that long...

"It would appear so," the griffon replied solemnly, "But we still need to trade with the Savannah Allegiances, we're running low on metal and gems for armour, papyrus, and medicine, although I suppose you already knew about that last one. Could you call together the ones in the Order to decide who will go?"

"Of course, dear," said Florence, taking to the air.

I wondered who would travel through the Wastelands this season. The journey to get there was extremely dangerous and tiring. Some creatures didn't return alive.

Alena had gone a few times, for her strength so she could pull the cart with our items in it, as well as Atlas, for the same reason. For as long as I can remember, Skysearcher went because of her incredible navigation. Other than that, I wasn't sure, but Griffa almost always sent six to eight animals.

Despite the big chance that Alena would be coming, I hoped I would be picked. I wanted to prove that I could still do things even with my injury.

My thoughts wandered to the Great Dane-German Shepherd mix. Questioning my loyalty... wasn't it obvious that my injury was the problem? I still didn't understand why she would think something like that. It made me angry just thinking of her, even if we did have good times together...

I shook my head to clear away those thoughts. We were still clanmates, despite the questions. She did seem to regret it after...

My lip curled with frustration. How was I supposed to feel?! What-

"Ahem," said a voice from behind.

I quickly realized I was blocking the way in and out of the dog Warriors den, and stepped aside for a cranky looking Atlas.

I decided it would be a good idea to go hunting and try to sort out my feelings and thoughts there.

Eventually, I was called back to camp by Maya. When I arrived with the Australian Shepherd, I was just in time for Griffa to announce who would go on the trip to the Savannah.

"We've chosen Atlas and Alena, for their strength. They'll carry the cart, and Atlas will be in charge of the team. Skysearcher, you've been chosen as well, because you have walked this route before. OJ, you've been chosen so that you'll gain experience. We see a lot of potential in you. Finally, Luna and Maya. You two will scout the path ahead for any sign of trouble."

I honestly didn't know just how to feel. Half of me was excited that I had such an important task, but the other half was worried about... not proving myself? How I would deal with Alena? I wasn't quite sure.

Griffara dismissed the surrounding animals from the meeting, and asked the ones that were chosen to come to Coal's den.

I ignored the disappointed voices of the Warriors that weren't chosen to come with us to the savannah.

In the forge, Coal presented each of us with a leather belt that had many pockets.

"Make sure to pack that with food and herbs before you go," he said dropping them at our feet, "Those are just for your personal items."

I picked mine up and hung it around my neck for later.

Stepping outside, he showed us a big cart made of wood.

"And of course, that's for the things to trade," said the Border Collie, gesturing to it with a wing. "Anyway, Griffa wanted you to meet with Florence to learn about a couple herbs."

The next day at dawn we set out on the trip. I had a few rabbits and other prey on my belt, as well as a couple cans of water and some disinfectant herbs.

Alena was tugging the cart along behind her, with Skysearcher leading the way. Speaking of Skysearcher, she honestly looked kind of funny, with a wide brimmed straw hat. Unfortunately, I would soon find out why she was wearing it.

"Well, this is it," stated Skysearcher, stopping at the end of the tree line. Beyond, there was nothing but bare earth as far as the eye could see.

"What a perfect, friendly place to take a vacation," said OJ sarcastically.

"Ha, you wish," growled Atlas. "We've seen strange creatures here before, and deadly storms. I really don't know how anything lives in this place."

"It doesn't look like anything does," I said, narrowing my eye.

Atlas just snorted in reply, and stepped onto the dusty earth. As soon as I followed, I wished I'd worn a silly straw hat. The sun seemed to stab me in the eye, with no trees to block it out. I just hoped this was the worst of it.

"Maya!?" I yelled over a howling sandstorm. In the cloud of dust, I quickly became separated from my clanmates. The dirt seemed to have crusted itself into the bandages wrapping my wound, and I constantly stopped and tried to wipe it off, but more just kept coming.

"Atlas! OJ!" I called desperately, "Sky!?"

I paused before saying the last name.

"Alena?"

Suddenly, a small, thin rat-like creature, about the size of a raccoon, but longer, appeared from the storm. I quickly noticed it had three eyes, and wondered if it was one of the creatures Atlas mentioned.

I snarled at it, and it stood up on its hind legs with a tilt of its head.

"Doggie, you come with me," it said, and I saw long sharp teeth lining its gums, "You be safe. You follow and you be safe."

It dropped back on all fours and turned to walk away.

I hesitated.

This thing looked pretty untrustworthy, but not overly dangerous. If it did try to attack me, I could overpower it. But if it really was trying to help, well, that'd be a lot more convenient for me.

I decided I wasn't doing too great just standing here, and decided to follow the creature.

"So, doggie, you have name?" it asked.

No real use in lying.

"Yeah, I'm Luna. And you?"

The rat thing laughed, but it didn't say anything. I had noticed a strange shape in the cloud of sand. It looked a lot like the creature beside me. I turned my gaze to the other side, and saw a frightening amount of the same beast, crawling along rises in the ground, following my every movement.

There must have been twenty... forty... a- a lot? More than I could handle. I backpedaled nervously, my eye darting through the storm.

"You dead now doggie," the creature announced with a toothy, nasty grin, "You better run. We like a chase."

I decided not to argue, and sprinted for all I was worth.