Weakness

The warriors set up another camp away from the battlefield. Their confrontation was at the level of the tragedy experienced recently in Garreg Mach. Even though the number of soldiers and enemies was more petite, this time, what was more impressive was the power displayed by the combatants. No one could ever have imagined that there was magic like that of Leonard and Periander. No one wanted to think about Marianne's horrifying power since it nearly cost her her life.

They had already apprehended Dimitri, who was in a cell that previously held one of the wyverns. The rest of the soldiers were taken as prisoners, waiting to find out what they would do with them. They would probably urge an unconditional surrender before seeing what to do with the deposed king of Faerghus. Meanwhile, Mercedes, Ingrid, Sylvain, and Félix agreed to collaborate, knowing the risks involved in the mission of which they were told.

Claude reviewed everything that happened that day and the steps to follow while eating a loaf of bread. They made it next to a pyre to keep warm since the rainy season was approaching, and the nights were not very calm and pleasant. Edelgard approached him. She sat down and took a piece of bread from him quickly.

"I can't believe what we've seen today, Claude," she said with her mouth full.

"I do not recognize such manners of yours, dear Empress," replied the young heir, looking into the fire.

"Do you think the battle would have gone better with the professor?" the girl asked, looking down at the ground.

"I don't know; maybe," he replied, clutching his forehead. "I doubt we could avoid certain losses. Maybe we wouldn't have risked Leonard and Marianne as much."

"I don't know... Now it turns out that everyone knows that Leonard is half Agarthan. I don't think we can keep our troops grounded. Some already want to retire out of fear."

"Let them go, Edelgard," Claude replied, rubbing the back of his neck. "I doubt they can do much. It will be for the best, so they will hold off the Faerghus soldiers while we decide what to do with Dimitri. Besides, things have gotten dire, and I doubt we can change the landscape. You could go too. It would be the best for you and your security."

"I won't go anywhere," she answered confidently. "Leonard's goal is to destroy the codex, and mine is to prevent Those Who Slither in the Dark from possessing it. Same with my uncle. Something tells me that they won't appear for a while, but they are surely waiting for the best moment to attack. They will wait until Periander is as far away as possible, of course."

"I think so. That guy looked like a frail old man with his Bishop appearance but was a beast. Leonard used a power he hadn't displayed before, and even so, he couldn't fully cope. I think that perhaps we are a hindrance to him."

"Using an implanted emblem is too strenuous. Even if he possesses great power, his fatigue will be greater. And its life will be shortened with each use. Same with Marianne...we almost lost her today."

"Well, you know that better than I do, my dear Flame Emperor," Claude replied with an expression of sadness and nostalgia. "Are we going to kill each other, Edelgard?"

"It could become unavoidable, depending on how things turn out," she replied, head down. "I know you could become reasonable, although you do not decide or can do and undo with the nation you will soon lead. I could reach an agreement with you, but..."

"With Dimitri, you never can," Claude replied, looking up at the cloudy sky. "It's something you'll have to carry with you for the rest of your days, even if it wasn't your fault. I'm sorry for both of you."

"I'll regret it forever, too, whether either of us dies in that confrontation," she replied, getting to her feet. "Well, for now, we just have to appreciate the gift of this truce we've been given. Tomorrow we will see what to do with it. Perhaps you can mediate the situation," Edelgard offered Claude a smile, which left him a little dizzy. "It's been a pleasure talking to you again, Claude."