Interview with the voice actors (1994)

Source: Yu Yu Hakusho Anime Comics, Meikai Shito Hen - Honoo no Kizuna, volume 2 (October, 1994). More info: Anime Comics.

 More info: Anime Comics

Profile

- Birthplace: Tokyo;

- Birthday: June 6 (Gemini);

- Blood Type: B;

- Affiliated with Aoni Production;

- Other roles: Sailor Uranus (Sailor Moon), Hiryu (Ginga Sengoku Gun Yuuden Rai) etc.

What was your first impression of Kurama?

When I asked the producers what kind of character was Kurama, I got this answer: "he's human but also a youkai; has a human form but is fox; looks like a girl but he is a boy; looks 16 but is hundreds years old..." (laughs). Confused, I turned to the manga and saw for the first time his appearance as Yoko. So, my impression was: "what? such a complex character!?" (laughs).

How would you describe Kurama in one word?

Lately, I am not able to answer that. The same way it is hard to describe a real person, he's almost indescribable. He's a character that seems to be always walking a fine line.

What are Kurama's best lines?

What he said when Yusuke was about to die in the Irima's cave (Sensui's Arc): "I couldn't stand it if any of us four weren't here". Due to his real age, he already has a refined mind and rarely externalizes his true feelings. But, at that time, he spoke from the bottom of his heart.

I have the impression that you natural voice and Kurama's voice are very different.

Really? I don't need to create a voice for him. The voice simply comes out of my mouth when I think about him. After finding out I had a high-pitched voice, I tried to make it sound deeper, my focus was solely on my voice. Then, I started to dedicate more to acting and trained a lot to increase my vigor. Paying more attention to intonation helped me to expand my vocal capacity.

Apart from Kurama, who's your favorite character?

Sincerely, it's Yusuke. He has a big heart and is able to accept people for who they are. No matter who, everyone ends up liking him. The guys gathered together thanks to Yusuke and, in the end, even Toguro and Sensui were attracted by his charisma.

What's your opinion about Yu Yu Hakusho?

It's a story free from hypocrisies. It addresses several themes, but never pushes you to agree with any of them. That's its attractiveness. When I play Kurama, I always try to convey this lack of pretense from the story itself! Please, keep on watching Yu Yu Hakusho!

_____________________________________________

A/N: I thought it'd be intresting to share the insights of the Japanese voice actor. What do you guys think 🤔