Chapter 3 - The Potential Groom

A week later, it was evening, a little after dinner time when Abhimanyu had just come back after an intense game of tennis. As he walked inside the house, he saw Naira aunty and Kartik uncle in cahoots with his parents, fawning over something or the other on the laptop.

"Hey guys, what's going on here? What's up with all the whispering?" He asked, eying the two groups of parents suspiciously.

"Abhi! Good you're here! Come, we have something to show you." Naira waved Abhimanyu over to her and Manjiri.

"Yes, aunty?" His gaze automatically fell onto the picture of a man —a very good looking man should he say himself on the laptop screen.

"What do you think of him?" Naira asked expectantly.

"He is good looking, I guess?" He was unsure why he was being asked such questions.

"Do you think Akshu will like him?"

"Akshara?" Abhimanyu looked between his mother and Naira, confused by the question.

"Yes. We are searching for potential grooms for her. And this is whom we found. Rehaan Kapoor, heir and CEO of Kapoor Textiles based in New Delhi."

Abhimanyu's heart sank. Potential grooms for Akshara? His Little One was getting married? So soon? And why wasn't he happy by the news of her potential marriage? He should be happy, shouldn't he?

"Is Akshara okay with this? Getting married?" He asked, trying to breathe through the sudden onslaught of confusion and sadness.

"We haven't talked to her yet. We wanted to first see if we are able to find some suitable options for her before we approach her." Kartik answered on behalf of Naira. "And so far we think Rehaan is the best option. He is smart, sophisticated, handles his family's business. He would be a perfect fit for our Akshara."

"Umm, doesn't he look too old for her?" Abhimanyu tried diverting the attention away from Kartik to focus back on the picture which he was beginning to hate as seconds went by.

"He is only 25. Not old at all. Akshu is 21 herself." Naira replied. "So what do you think?"

"I don't know why you want me to say." Abhimanyu replied. How was he going to be able to speak for Akshara when he didn't even know how to feel about the potential of Akshara's marriage himself.

"You are her best friend. She must have talked to you about what she desires in a life partner? Hasn't she? You must know her likes and dislikes, don't you?"

"No...we...um...we never talked about this." Truth be told, the two of them hadn't even thought beyond the two of them. It had always been the two of them since the beginning of time till now. They had never even thought let alone talked about a third person entering their dynamics.

He had even forgotten marriage, life partners, boyfriends, girlfriends had been a thing. To him, it was, is, and would always remain the two of them.

Even in school and all throughout college, no boy had dared to approach Akshara for a date. And the ones that had tried had been quick to be shut down by either him or Akshara herself.

"Okay then, maybe then I will have to talk to Akshara myself." Naira shrugged.

"He seems like a good boy, Naira. There is no harm in having the two of him meet over a coffee or lunch, just to see how well they get along."

"I think that is a great idea, Bhabhiji. Rehaan is coming in tomorrow to complete a business dealing with a partner of mine. I can have Akshu join us for lunch, have them chat a bit and then see how it goes?" Kartik offered. "Before we discuss the entire marriage situation with her?"