Chapter 13 - Accusations

Early next morning, Abhimanyu and Akshara looked towards each other giving each other a hopeful smile before turning back to look towards the gated entrance to Goenka Villa.

Abhimanyu squeezed Akshara's hand reassuringly as they made their way towards the house. Abhimanyu was ready to stand guard Akshara in front of her like a shield ready to go wage war against anyone and everyone who dared question her.

"It'll be okay. I'll be by your side, every step of the way." Abhimanyu gave Akshara a rueful smile.

~*~

The moment Abhimanyu and Akshara stepped into the house, they were bombarded by Rehaan and his baseless accusations.

"See! I told you they would be together! I told you all! And him..." He pointed towards Abhimanyu. "He is the only who did this..." Rehaan showed his bloodied face and broken nose to Kartik, Naira, Bade Papa, Mimi, Kairav and Badi Maa.

"And I would do it again." Abhimanyu grumbled, finality to his tone.

"See! This is what I mean!" Rehaan assured Kartik.

Behind Akshara and Abhimanyu, Manjiri and Harshvardhan walked into the house, going to stand beside Naira.

"What is going on? Abhi? Akshu?" Harshvardhan asked, concerned for his son.

"Dad..." Abhimanyu began to say but was interrupted by Kartik.

Kartik looked over towards Abhimanyu, disgust and disappointment piling between his eyes. "Where were you guys, Abhimanyu? Where were you and Akshara the entire night?" Kartik asked, looking Abhimanyu straight in the eyes.

Abhimanyu spoke to Kartik and Kartik only. Not caring about the drama Rehaan was creating. Honesty was the best policy. His parents had taught him that and he was going to do his best to follow it.

"Akshara and I stayed over at a hotel. We did not think it was wise of us to come home. At least not in the shape –

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" Kartik asked, bewildered.

"He told me. Abhimanyu texted me to inform me that they were staying at a hotel and that Akshara and he were safe." Naira explained to Kartik, interrupting him.

Kartik looked over at his wife, shocked. "Why wouldn't you tell me?"

"I was about to when Rehaan came barging in." Naira explained, doubting Rehaan's side of the story.

Akshara stood behind Abhimanyu, barely being able to peak over his shoulders to see the reactions of her family. Her heart beat erratically against her chest and her anxiety was through the roof.

Rehaan noticed the momentum shifting away from his outrage and twisting the narrative. "I always knew it! I always knew he –the great Abhimanyu Birla –the best friend had feelings for Akshara. That he loved her. That he couldn't see her getting married to someone else. And guess what Papa, I was proven right, yesterday! He kissed her! He kissed my Akshara!"

"She is not your Akshara!" Abhimanyu roared, glaring at Rehaan with monstrous blood red eyes, unable to contain the rage he was feeling. "She was never yours!" He grit out, enraged, jaw clenched as he squeezed Akshara's hand, heat radiating off his body.

"See! This is what he does. He is crazy, psychotic and delusional. He is turning Akshara against me. Ruining our relationship! And when I told him to stop, to leave us alone, he beat me up. Punched me. Wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. And then while I laid on the ground bleeding, he dragged Akshara away from me. He is a monster!" Rehaan shared his plight.

"ENOUGH!" Akshara shouted, tired of hearing Abhimanyu being insulted. "ENOUGH!" She cried, feeling tears roll down her cheeks.

She stepped forward from behind Abhimanyu, letting everyone standing in the room witness the scars and bruises on her neck and face.