Chapter 12 - Spoken Love

As the elevator door chimed open, Akshara found herself stepping inside what seemed to be a penthouse suite. Of course, Harsh uncle would have kept the best apartment for himself.

Abhimanyu gave Akshara's hand a squeeze, refusing to look at her. He couldn't bare to see her in this condition. The glaring red marks marring her soft, creamy skin. The busted lip. He...he felt ashamed. Mad. Hurt. Disgusted that he had allowed it to go this far.

Akshara glanced towards Abhimanyu, wanting him to talk. To speak. To yell at her. To say something! Anything! "Abhi..."

"Come." His voice was distant, clipped.

The abuse at Rehaan's hands, his slaps, his punches, the choking, his words —they didn't hurt her as much as Abhimanyu's silence did.

~*~

Abhimanyu pulled Akshara behind him, opening the bedroom door. He walked her over to the bed and sat her down, still avoiding eye contact with her.

"If you want to take a shower, you can go ahead. Freshen up. I'll get you a new pair of clothes." Abhimanyu offered, looking around the room, doing everything in his power to avoid looking at her.

Akshara felt ashamed of herself. This was the first time Abhimanyu had even refused to look at her. This was the first time he was pulling away from her. She...she really had messed up.

"You can even rest if you want to. I'll leave you alone."

Abhimanyu turned to move away from Akshara, wanting to give her space. He didn't want to suffocate her. He didn't want to overwhelm her

As he turned to leave, Akshara reached out and drabbed his hand, stopping him.

"Please don't leave me." Akshara whispered, the pain visible in her voice as she looked at the ground.

Abhimanyu turned around to look at her, just in time for Akshara to raise her lashes and glance towards him, their gazes interlocking.

Hers filled with a silent plea and his with caged emotion.

"Please don't leave me alone. I...I need  you." Her lips quivered as she said the words. Her eyes filled to the brim with tears, overflowing as tears rolled down her cheeks. "Please don't leave me alone." She repeated.

Abhimanyu's heart ached and his eyes filled with rage –towards Rehaan for turning his happy-go-lucky, lovable goofball Akshara into the shell of her former self. The girl who used to always smile before,was hurting—crying –all because of some coward.

Abhimanyu pulled Akshara's hand as he turned towards her. She wrapped her arms around his torso, pressing her cheek against his staunch stomach, sobbing profusely. Abhimanyu wrapped his arms around Akshara protectively.

He went down on his knees in front of her, cupping her tear streaked face in his hands, pulling it up to look into her eyes.

"Shhh, don't cry. My Little One never cries. She makes other people cry, remember?"  Abhimanyu wiped the tears away from Akshara's face.

"I messed up, Abhi." She sobbed, shaking her head violently.

"No, you didn't. You did not mess up. He messed up. And he is going to pay for it. Not you. Never you."Abhimanyu rectified her belief, firmly. "Okay?" He affirmed.

Akshara nodded her head unwillingly in acceptance.

Abhimanyu got up from the ground and made a move to leave Akshara, triggering her into a frenzy of panic. "Where are you going?"

"To go get a first aid kit." He replied. "I'll be right back."

Akshara nodded her head, trying to collect herself. She let Abhimanyu go, watching him walk into the bathroom. She clutched her hands to the sides of the mattress, feeling a heave of unease on her chest remembering the events of this evening.