Chapter 4 - The Meeting

"Rehaan, this is my daughter, Akshara." Kartik made introductions between Akshara and her potential match.

"Hello, Akshara." Rehaan outstretched his hand. Akshara slipped her hand in his.

"Hi." She replied. Rehaan was tall, broad shoulders, nice dimples —overall very handsome looking. He looked smart and his dressing sense was impeccable.

However, that was pretty much it. He was the poster boy for a powerful man who was used to having people bend over backwards for him.

"Please, sit." Rehaan waited for Akshara to take a seat before sitting down himself.

"And here comes Rohit." Kartik and Akshara turned around to greet Kartik's business partner, Rohit Manchanda make an entrance.

"Hey Kartik." Rohit shook hands with Kartik and then with Rehaan.

"Thank you for letting us tag along to your lunch meeting. I just wanted Akshara to see how business deals were made since she will be an integral part of Goenka Diamonds in the near future." Kartik replied, hiding his ulterior motive from Akshara.

"Of course. Welcome beta."

"Hello uncle." Akshara greeted her dad's best friend and business partner.

The group of 4 sat down on a table and quickly ordered some drinks and appetizers to start the meeting. Akshara tried to pay attention to the business terms ans conditions which were being fired around the table but quickly lost interest.

She took out her phone from her pocket and quickly opened up her messages with to Abhimanyu.

The last message she sent had been sent last night. It had been their picture with Arijit Singh. She had not heard a response back from Abhimanyu, and just been texted back a thumbs up emoji, which was very unlike him.

Akshara texted Abhimanyu: At a business meeting with dad, getting bored. What are you up to?

Akshara glanced up from her phone once in awhile to not seem rude, and also to make it seem like she was paying attention to the discussion happening at the table. However, her attention was solely focused on getting a reply from Abhimanyu. Which she still hadn't. Again, which was highly unusual of him.

So she texted him again: Abhi!

And again: Abhi!

And again: Are you ignoring me? I am getting bored!

And again: Hello! Entertain me please!

Despite sending multiple texts, she got a response to none of them.

"Okay then, I will have my assistant send your assistant the contract. But other then that, we are good to go?" Rohit Manchanda verified with Rehaan.

"Yes, absolutely." Rehaan replied, shifting his focus from Akshara to Rohit.

"Great. So I gotta go, I have other meetings to attend to so I can't stay for lunch. But you guys, you carry on."

Kartik looked between Akshara and Rehaan, giving a slight nod of approval to Rehaan. "Rohit, I'll walk you out. I have to talk to you regarding the Marwa deal." Kartik then turned to Akshara. "I'll be right back, Princess."

"But papa..." Akshara looked at Rehaan nervously, unsure of what exactly she was supposed to do with Rehaan alone.

"5 minutes. I'll be back in 5 minutes." Before Akshara could form a response, Kartik and Rohit bolted out of the restaurant leaving Akshara alone with Rehaan.

~*~

"Err, hi...sorry. I am usually not good at talking with new people." There was one thing Akshara hated more than talking to new people —it was awkward silence.