Chapter 7 - Spoken For

The day of Rehaan and Akshara's Tilak was fast approaching. Within the week of Akshara agreeing to marry Rehan, both their families had worked overtime to make the Tilak happen within that week.

Rehaan's parents, Sheela Kapoor and Mahesh Kapoor had flown all the way from Delhi to be there for the rituals.

The Tilak itself was a very private affair. Only Akshara's immediate family, Rehaan, his parents and of course Abhimanyu and his family were present for the ceremony.

"Rehaan, come, let me introduce you to Abhimanyu." Akshara pulled Rehaan along with her to where Abhimanyu was standing by his lonesome.

"Rehaan, this is Abhimanyu, my best friend. We have been unbreakable, sticking to each other like glue since the moment we were born. Our moms are best friends and so are we." Akshara explained.

"Bes t friend huh?" Rehaan mumbled, planting a smile on his face.

However, Abhimanyu did not fail to miss the small scrunching of Rehaan's nose in disapproval upon hearing the word best friend.

"Hi. Abhimanyu. Birla. Best friend." Abhimanyu shook hands with Rehaan, trying to be civil.

"Rehaan. Kapoor. Fiancé." Rehaan's voice had a subtle hint of ownership to it. "We should get together and have dinner sometime."

Abhimanyu nodded his head, "Absolutely."

Rehaan turned towards Akshara. "I think we should go, they might be looking for us."

Akshara turned towards Abhimanyu, giving him a small smile. "Go. I'll see you later."

It was only after Abhimanyu willed her to go that Akshara left. A move which did not go unnoticed by Rehaan. And truthfully, he was beginning to question just exactly how close Akshara and Abhimanyu were to each other.

~*~

Abhimanyu stood back, arms folded against his chest as he watched Akshara sit through the ceremony. He watched Akshara, dressed in a pale pink lengha with matching pink bangles and large rose gold imitation jewelry be draped with a red dupatta. She was then given boxes of jewelry and golden bangles to wear by Rehaan's family.

Rehaan himself was given a golden chain and had a pagdi tied to his head. Tilak was applied to him as a commitment of both the families to the marriage of Rehaan and Akshara.

Abhimanyu took a deep breath, trying to remain calm. Trying to not cry. His eyes felt heavy, his heart heavier and his hands numb.

Akshara nodded towards Abhimanyu, silently asking him: What happened?

Abhimanyu shook his head, wiping the lone tear which had somehow managed to roll down his cheek.

She frowned in his direction, angry at him for crying.

Abhimanyu laughed, trying to hold back his tears. He pulled on his earlobe, asking for forgiveness from Akshara for crying.

I am just overwhelmed, he mouthed to her.

I know. But don't cry. Seeing you cry is going to make me cry too. She mouthed back.

From the corner of his eye, Rehaan witnessed his fiancée being more focused on the one person she was not supposed to. His eyes darted between Akshara and Abhimanyu. Feeling a silent amount of rage, he whispered harshly, "Akshara, it would be better if you pay attention to what you are supposed to."

Akshara glanced towards Rehaan nervously before lowering her lashes in submission. "Sorry."

Abhimanyu frowned from afar as he watched Akshara sit like a docile mouse beside Rehaan. The Akshara he knew barely ever sat still, especially at a moment like this where she should be elated –then why? Why was she suddenly so quiet?