Chapter Four

A month had passed since the competition. Despite her win - nothing felt different. In fact, it felt worse. She had won a scholarship to a college of her choice as a prize. Just what her mother wanted for her. 

With the new scholarship, she had more opportunities than ever – something she wished she could be more positive about. On her CAO, to please her mother she had put down two medical degrees. Something she thought she wanted but now she just didn't know anymore. She was only seventeen; did she really have to decide her entire life now? Apparently so.

Later in the week, when no longer being recognized by every teacher, she finally settled into her Art class. They were doing live drawings and found herself lost in it. Miss Hoover complimented her work when class finished, and to her surprise Fynns too. Asking them both to wait afterward.

'I'm glad to have two students who appreciate good art,' she told them quietly after the others left. 'I did notice some of your art supplies needed refreshing before the exam.' She handed them both new pencils and charcoals.

'Wow, thank you,' they both replied looking embarrassed. Salantina kept looking shyly at Fynn.

'You're welcome if either of you considers Art as a career in the future. I want to make sure you have a good start now.' She smiled at them both. They both left the room together.

'I guess we are the best students after all.' Fynn whispered and smiled at her. She almost dropped the pencils.

'I guess so.' She couldn't help but smile with a warm feeling filling her stomach.

'You've had a good week. Congratulations on your win by the way. Maybe Miss Hoover has a hidden agenda with these new supplies - bribing you into pursuing an Art career?'

'Something to consider. I guess I'll add it to my list of potential applications.' She wished now more than ever that she didn't win. 'Your supplies must be purely based on talent.'

'Are you not happy then?' He asked noticing her mood change.

'I am happy, just it's a... surprise, I guess.'

'I understand more pressure to get it right,' he said giving her a knowing smile.

'Yes, it would make things simpler if I knew what I wanted.'

'It's a hard choice.'

'Art's a good choice. Something I hadn't thought about.' And won't while her mother is around...

'Me either. I think I'll add it to my list of potentials,' Fynn said. Salantina felt butterflies at the thought of them being in the same college together. 'Anyways, I better go. I have Math - don't want to be late.'

'Enjoy,' she replied sarcastically. 'I'll be late for geography, too. I think I'd rather have my options right now.' He gave her a half smile walking away that she returned before her eyes met her shoes. She couldn't concentrate on her classes afterward. Instead, replaying their conversation over and over.

*

It was coming up to the final days of classes and they were focused on revision. A lot of the leaving cert year were studying from home. Salantina and Ruby had tried that with their parents with no luck. Both their parents said she would attend school until they graduated.

This meant they were in a single classroom all day revising with their teachers. She guessed her mum had a point she wasn't going to cover all of the material as the teachers directed them the same way at home.

Fynn also had been one of the students in attendance. He was quiet like always and stayed in the back. What was new was that his normal friend group didn't attend.