Chapter Two

Salantina awoke to a buzzing in her pocket. Her neck and arm were numb on the side she was lying on. Moving to a sitting position pins and needles shot through her body. Water dripped onto her shoulders making her stiff body shiver. It took her a second for her eyes to adjust to the darkness and remember the stream.

Her phone vibrated a second time. Using her non-numb arm she pulled it out of her damp pocket although it was hard for her to even muster up enough strength to perform such a simple task. Stretching her stiff neck slightly. It took her two attempts to slide the answer button with the wet screen.

'Hello,' she croaked on the phone before even looking at who was calling.

'Where are you, it's 12.30 and neither you nor Bella is here!' It was her mum. Her voice was not hysteric, but it was high-pitched, so she was close to it.

'Sorry,' she mumbled and cleared her throat. 'I'm on my way. I just brought Bella for a walk and then we went to Ruby's. I fell asleep,' she half lied. Her chest felt tight.

'Okay. Are you coming back? I can pick you up.'

'No,' she almost shouted. 'I'm fine walking with Bella. We won't be long.' She could hear her mother mulling it over. Please don't leave the house...

'Right. Okay. I don't want Bella in the car anyways.' Salantina suppressed the urge to defend Bella's basic rights being breached and tried to be relieved but deep down she wished she didn't have to go home. It was times like this she couldn't wait to get away. Hanging up the phone she switched on the light. Facing it toward her body she noticed her arm looked blue. If there was color in her face it drained at that moment. 

It must be the light...

Pushing herself off the rock, her body felt like lead. 

'Bella, come on girl, we've got to go.' There was rustling, and Bella appeared before nuzzling her hand. She tried to run but was too dizzy and her damp clothes were making it difficult. It was pitch black only for the torch on her phone. She forced herself to keep moving or her mum would soon be calling back, or worse, going out to meet her. Ruby lived on the opposite road from her house so it would be difficult to explain.

When she arrived, her body was even more tired than when she left the stream. Her feet dragged her to the door of the house giving her time to look in the living room window. Her mother, who bore a strong resemblance to her with the same brown hair, eyes, and sharp although worn features, looked tired watching TV. A guilty feeling washed over her while straightening herself outside the door. Quickly she pulled some twigs out of her hair and cringed at what her mother would think if she had seen them before tucking the wet parts of her hair inside her jumper. Another failed attempt at the perfect daughter. 

Walking inside, she apologized again with tears in her eyes. Please don't be mad.
'You look a little unwell.' Her mother stopped her mid-apology before putting her hand on her head. 'You're warm.'
'I feel fine. Just tired.' Her eyes darted to the stairs wanting to remove herself from scrutiny. 'I'm going to go to bed.' She fought to keep her eyes open and avoided her mother's worried expression. They both knew what sickness meant. Her not being able to study and not getting closer to her goals. In a strange way, Salantina felt a little pressure to leave her – maybe if she failed her mother would stop comparing her to a younger version of herself. 

'Go to bed hon. And don't worry about any work, you'll catch up.' 

Dread filled her stomach. Even though she predicted it, nonetheless her mother couldn't not mention work. There was no energy in her to try and fight or justify anything. Instead, she turned and dragged herself up the stairs to her room, with tears streaming down her face.
By the time she got into bed, too tired to care anymore, she drifted to sleep.