o n e

The moon hung in the velvet backdrop that was the midnight sky

The moon hung in the velvet backdrop that was the midnight sky. The light accompanied by the soft wind and the movement of the trees caused shadows to dance on the ground.

Adjusting the sleek, black gloves on his hands, a man just over the age of twenty lay on a rooftop, observing his target. His sharp eyes scanned over the property as he stayed completely silent.

The moonlight reflected off of the golden, slightly tacky in his opinion, decorations that adorned the outer structure of the building.

The architecture of the building was irrelevant to the man though. He was more concerned about the priceless artefact hidden within the mansion's walls.

He had been surveying this place for weeks; the blueprint for the building etched into his mind. He knew where every surveillance camera was, where the pressure plates were placed and where the motion sensors were.

The rotation of the guards was something that he knew all about too. Everything had been meticulously planned and the man was ready to proceed with the first step.

Just as he was about to make a move, he paused, almost frozen in his tracks. He quickly backed away, making sure to keep low, until he was properly out of sight.

As if trying to become a part of it, the man pressed himself into the roof, trying to not be seen from the ground or the mansion in front of him.

"Damn it."

The jet-black outfit that he was wearing had a little button in its shoulder that was connected to the earpiece in his ear.

"Shit!"

Voice laced with frustration, the man cursed under his breath as he pressed on the button and the earpiece crackled to life.

"Are you in?"

The voice from the other end of the device played in his ears. Clenching his jaw, the thief responded, careful to keep his voice low, but frustration was evident in his tone.

"No. I'm not. What the hell? I've been fricking watching this whole place for weeks! You gave me the number of guards too. Their shift changes should've given me a window. So how come there's another one standing in front of the entrance that I was planning to use??"

"What?"

He rolled his eyes, turning around so that he could see everything while making sure that the guards couldn't see him. Enunciating each word, he replied.