e l e v e n

The fire started off small

Now it seemed to engulf everything. Huge, almost mesmerising, flames danced and flickered in the wind.

Taehyun had one leg inside the car but his eyes were fixed on the once-standing safe house. There was a funny churning in his stomach as he stared at the menacing blend of orange and yellow in front of him. The heat caused beads of sweat to form on his forehead yet he didn't move.

"Taehyun! What the fuck are you doing?! Get in the car!"

"Something's not right..." He mumbled almost to himself, his voice barely audible over the sounds of the blaze.

From the driver's seat, Kai tugged on the edge of the older boy's sleeve. Taehyun suddenly pulled his arm away and ran back to the house.

"Tae!" Kai called after him but he had already entered the safe house. "Shit..."

Meanwhile, all that was playing in her ears were the sounds of screams. Whether it was her own or someone else's, she didn't know.

She stood frozen in the middle of the room, eyes wide and fixed on the blaze that seemed to surround her from angles. The gun slipped from her trembling hand but she was too out of it to even notice, to even register anything but the menacing flames around her.

A surprised yelp left Haneul's lips when she suddenly felt her feet leave the ground. Strong arms wrapped around her waist and she felt herself being carried.

The guard didn't protest or fight back. Everything was a haze. Her vision was blurred and there was a ringing in her ears. Taehyun's voice barely reached her ears; the low timbre making its way to her as if through water.

"Are you insane?!"

He squinted as he made his way to the door, trying to focus through the thick smoke. It was easy to force the door off its hinges with a swift kick of his foot. In the doorway, the sudden explosion from behind them flung both the guard and thief forward.

The sudden jolt was what brought Haneul back to her senses. She snapped out of her daze finding herself on the ground. The grass beneath her tickled the exposed skin of the nape of her neck. She blinked a couple of times and went to readjust her mask but then registered the weight on top of her.

Taehyun let out a pained groan. His ears were ringing and there was an itch in his throat that wouldn't seem to go away. A sharp pain seemed to radiate throughout him, sourced at his leg.

Haneul pushed at his chest, making him roll off of her as he let out a cough and draped one of his arms over his eyes.

"What the hell, Kang?!" Her voice wavered as she spoke.