s i x t e e n

Phone in hand, he left his bedroom and rushed down the stairs, almost tripping over the last two but catching himself on the bannister at the last minute

The boy's breath caught in his throat as he realised just how close had come to face-planting on the hard, wooden floorboards. The device that had been in his hand, however, hadn't been so lucky.

"Oh, come on. Please, please, please," he muttered to himself as he bent down to pick up the phone, fearful of the potential damage.

Just his luck. There was a rather sizeable crack, spanning from the bottom corner right to the centre of the phone. And, of course, he ran out of screen protectors a week ago and hadn't been bothered to order himself some new ones.

The boy wanted to just drop to the ground there and curse everything but he didn't have time for that. Not dwelling on the fact that every time he touched his screen now, his fingertips would be at risk of getting cut, he hurriedly grabbed his jacket, rushing to get out of his house.

Just before he reached the door, the sound of a voice made him pause in his tracks.

"Sweetheart? Are you leaving?"

The boy winced slightly, his hand hovering only millimetres above the handle.

"Yeah, mum. I have to go."

"Really?" She questioned, her voice becoming clearer as she made her way to the hallway he was standing in. "But it's quite late..."

"I'm a fully grown adult. I can go out when I want to," he snapped, a little too harshly. Which made him feel a pang of guilt since it was uncharacteristic of him. His mother didn't flinch though.

"Grown adult, huh?" She questioned teasingly as she approached him, reaching out to fix his collar. "Can't even set yourself up properly."

Reaching up, he gently brushed his mother's hands off and rolled his eyes in mock indignation. His mother only laughed softly as she shook her head.

"I know you're an adult, but it's late, and I worry about you. Where are you going at this hour?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "I've got some business to take care of, Mum. Don't worry, I'll be fine."

His mother's brow furrowed, her affectionate teasing switched out; her concern evident in the lines of her face. "Can't it wait until morning? It's not safe to be out alone at night."

He shook his head, determination flashing in his eyes. "I can't wait until morning. This can't wait. Trust me, mum."

She sighed, relenting slightly. "Alright, just promise me you'll be careful. And don't stay out too late."