f o u r t e e n

All semblance of nonchalance dissipated from his demeanour

All semblance of nonchalance dissipated from his demeanour. Taehyun tried to jerk himself out of the two men's grasp but they didn't let up.

For the time that she had seen and known him, never had Haneul seen the thief so profoundly terrified. His eyes were wide and his restrained hands were clenched into tight fists, knuckles white.

"Wait, there must be a mistake. I...I've never...I didn't kill him! I swear. I never killed anyone!"

The desperation in his voice was something so out of character for the usually charismatic thief that it only added to the confusion that had consumed Haneul's mind. All that she could was stand silently and watch, her thoughts a swirling mess in her head.

"Take him to the holding cells. I'll deal with him later."

Her eyes met his brown ones as he was dragged away by the personnel, his desperate pleas ringing in her ears up until he disappeared from both view and then earshot. Haneul didn't even register anything else until she felt a hand on her shoulder.

The touch was different and she flinched slightly, Mr Choi's hand feeling unnaturally cool against her. Unsurprisingly, her first thought was how contrasting it was to Taehyun's. How the warmth of the blue-haired thief's palm had practically seeped through her clothing. Never making her feel as anxious as she was with Beomgyu's father.

Beomgyu...

"I understand this must be difficult news for you to hear."

Haneul slowly turned her head, meeting the older man's gaze with wide eyes, still in a state of shock. What had her even more puzzled was the stoic demeanour displayed on his features. Considering that he had just lost his son as he had said.

"Beomgyu...he's..."

Albeit it being merely a whisper, the guard finally found her voice.

Mr Choi's lips pressed into a thin line and he gave a firm nod in response to Haneul's unasked question.

"He wasn't answering the security members and we found blood on the floor in his room. Then — "

Not listening to anything else, the guard immediately cut the older man off.

"No, no. I called Miyeon. And she said that he — "

Upon hearing her name, the man's brow furrowed slightly as he directed his eyes at her with an almost indignant look.

"Miyeon? Haneul. It was Miyeon who found Beomgyu in the first place."