Chapter 23

Acxa didn't want to kiss him back. And despite her mind screaming at her to pull away, she still kissed him back with the same intensity he was kissing her. It was as if her lips had a mind of their own. She had never kissed anyone before and although this was new to her she felt herself being in perfect sync with him.

Keith smiled when he felt Acxa kiss him back and brought her even closer to himself. When he broke the kiss, his head dipped as his lips trailed down her jaw to her neck and her collar bones.

Acxa's body responded to his touch as if it was meant just for him. And maybe it was. He was the first one to touch her after all.

But their intimate moment didn't last too long when Acxa put her hands on his chest and pushed him a little.

"Stop," she said.

Keith's head instantly came up as he looked at her. He searched her face for an answer but she looked stoic.

Keith's hold on her tightened.

"Why did you tell me to stop? Do you not want this?"

Acxa closed her eyes and shook her head.

"It isn't that."

"So you do want me?"

"It isn't that either."

"What is it then, Acxa?"

"You don't understand."

"Then make me."

She took in a deep breath.

"I am your General. Whatever we have must be on the base that you are the Emperor and I am your subject. I cannot do this. I am not supposed to do this," she said.

"What is so wrong with it? Can't I have feelings for you, Acxa? You may be my general, but you are a person first. I may be an Emperor, but I am a person first."

She shook her head.

"This isn't right," she said.

"Tell me, Acxa. Tell me you didn't want to kiss me just as bad as I wanted to kiss you a while ago. Tell me you don't feel the same way about me that I do about you. Tell me and I'll stop. But speak only the truth."

Acxa's eyes closed tight as she drew in a deep breath.

"Don't do this," she almost begged him when her eyes opened. "Don't touch me as if you mean to hold onto me forever. Don't look at me that way. You make it harder for me to pull back."

"Then don't," he said.

"I have to. This won't seem right. I serve as your subject, not as your romantic partner."

"Tell me that you don't want me as much as I want you. We can see about the rest later. For now, answer one thing for me. Just one thing."

She said nothing for a few moments.

"Do you think I do not want you? I want you so badly; I have wanted you badly for the past so many months. Every time I looked at you, it was hard to ignore the feelings I hold in my heart. I wanted to hold you close to myself and be with you, but that isn't meant to be my place. I can only be by your side as a General. Nothing more, nothing less."

"What if I told you it is okay?"

"It wouldn't look okay to others."

"But I'll need a queen sooner or later. Does it seem so wrong to have you be my Empress?"

"There are countless other women worthy of you out there, who would make perfect queens and would keep you happy."

"But I don't want them. I want you, Acxa. Why don't you understand that? I love you, okay. How can I think of another woman when my heart belongs to you?"

Acxa's eyes widened.

"You... love me?"

"Of course, Acxa. Why else would I put my lips on top of yours and hold you? You don't realize it. You're my first, Acxa. I have never held a woman before you. It isn't just a desire or something I would do out of boredom or for fun. I have genuine feelings for you."

"But I'm not... I'm not even that special," she said.

"You're special enough for me," Keith said.

She didn't know what to say. She shook her head and rested her forehead on his chest.

Keith ran his hand on her back gently.

"I don't want you to think otherwise. If you want it, I'll make it happen. I would have stopped if you had told me you didn't feel the same way and didn't want it. What good is it to bury our feelings when we could live them?"

"And what of the Empire? What would the Galra think of us?"

"What would they think? We are two people with hearts that can feel and are free to feel."

"What if they don't approve of us?"

"It is their choice but I have made mine and that is you," he said firmly.

"I'm not sure about this."

"You don't have to be, I'll prove it to you. I'll prove that we can work it out," he said.

"I'll try to give it a chance," she said after a few moments.

"Thank you, Acxa, I promise I won't disappoint you," Keith said, kissing the top of her head.

I hope you don't.