Chapter 1

Lailani

I slammed the locker door and frantically looked for Kevin. Whenever he missed school was absolute hell. He was my source of protection. He didn't ride the bus, which got me worried. I ran to the bathroom and locked from the inside. I pulled out my phone and called him. The phone rung four times before he decided to pick it up.

"Hello?" He answered. He voice sounded scratchy, as if he swallowed toothpicks. "Where are you??"

"Sick and at home. I have the flu."

I sighed. "You could have told me. I would have stayed with you."

"Lani, you'll be fine. I told you, if someone comes at you sideways, beat the sh--"

"Bye Kev."

I hung up and sat on he floor, contemplating on whether I ditch or struggle through the day.

A loud beating in the door shook my out of my daze.

Ditch it is...

I unlocked the door and brushed past the pissed student and straight towards the front office, pulling out an old pass that didn't have the date filled out on it. I sat in one of the benches located in the long, empty hallway,and picked the proper pen to fit the format from my raggedy backpack.

I got up and completed my journey. The office blew a soft, cold breeze against my body, sending me into temporary relaxation.

I looked around the comfy area for Mrs. Everson, our office secretary. She kept track of everything that had to do with the students, and would often let me go home early, considering the fact the I did nothing but study when I was home.

There was absolutely nothing to do when I got home. I had no friends. I couldn't make any....

Mrs.Everson came from the back room with a smile on her face, which was nothing new. She was always smiling, as if she lived her entire childhood off of candy and cherry Capri Sun's.

"Lailani! Glad to see you, I actually needed a student to do something for me."

I rose an eyebrow in confusion. "I need you to show our new student around. His name is.. well, I'm sure he'll tell you what it is."

I can't do this. No to this innocent child just trying to get a normal education. If anyone sees him with me, he's over.

I walked over to him, absolutely uninterested. "Hey, I'm Lailani Corbin, but you can call me Lani." He stood up and gave a nervous smile.

"Daniel Veda."

I smiled. He was pretty cute, I had to admit. I guess there's no slipping from school for me today...

_|_|_|_|_

Daniel had the same first period as me.

Matter of fact, our schedule was the same thing, excluding our writing and math group.

He was in Advanced Calculus.

I was in Creative Writing 2 .

We seemed to have stronger subjects in what each of us were weak in. The day went pretty calm,for the most part. Girls still swooned over him, despite the fact that he was seen with me.

Me.

Since he was in AC, I walked him to his class and went to my Creative Writing, where one of my only other friends, Raelynn, went.

"Hey Rae," I mumbled, sitting down beside her in the middle of the class. She gave me a small smile and looked around.

Quiet much?

"You heard about the new student?"

Of course.

"Yeah, and I also have the burden of showing him around," I thought in my head, turning to face her.

I giggled at her and shook my head. "Hes not in this period, so stop. He's in AC. "

She slowly turned towards me. "How do you know...?"

Shit..

No point in hiding it now...

"I have to show him around school for a couple days."

"Ooohh, lucky.." she seemed to blank out, probably daydreaming about the impossible. I zoned out myself, looking around. Since Creative Writing didn't really have any students, there wasn't anything to do. It was like a free period.

I looked at the seat beside me and almost had a heart attack.

That wasn't right.

I pinched myself and squeezed my eyes shut, letting out a small squeal.

Rae looked towards me for a second, before returning to staring at the blank board. I looked to my side and saw ...it again.

"Hell no." I mumbled, starting to pack my stuff. I've been seeing...that for a couple weeks, and I've been scared shitless because of it. I simply got up and walked out, disregarding the teacher's requests to sit back down. I went into the bathroom and sat down, letting the tears fall freely.

I couldn't do this anymore...

Why won't he leave me alone?