Chapter 2

Daniel

I didn't see Lailani at all when I walked out of AC. I walked around the hallways for a couple of minutes before seeing the messy bun she had. "Hey, Lani!"

She turned around, searching for whoever called her name.

I jogged over to where she was and tapped her shoulder.

"Oh, hey Daniel." She quickly looked down and kept walking. He voice was quivering, as if she had been crying. I walked in front of her and gently lifted her head with my index finger.

Tears were slowly streaming down her cheeks, the color drained from her face. She can't go to their next class like this.

"You wanna take a walk?"

She nodded her head like a baby. "Take the back door... I'll show you, but you have to be quick."

As soon as she ended her sentence, she started sprinting towards the gym. I followed shortly after,hoping we didn't have to run for long. We made it to the door before the bell rung, which was a bonus.

She opened the door and held it open for me. "Thanks," I mumbled, walking behind her. We walked in a comfortable silence, before I decided yo speak. "You wanna talk about whatever's bothering you?"

"Not really..." she said, playing with her fingers. We walked off the campus and onto the sidewalk. "I know we haven't known each other for long, but I don't like seeing people cry. You'll feel much better after you talk about it.."

"I don't know..."

I sighed, feeling defeated. "You'll grow comfortable with me, and when you do, I'm not gonna forget this."

She let out a small chuckle before facing me.

"You wanna meet one of my friends? He lives close.."

I wasn't planning on skipping school, but whatever keeps her happy..

"Sure."

She grabbed my hand and jogged towards the street intersection. When she didn't let go, a smile crept onto my face.

When the walkway light turned green, we ran across the street before stopping in front of a road with houses lined across the left and right.

"There..." She pointed to a dark brown, two story brick house. Someone was outside shooting hoops, while the other was sitting on a chair.

"KEV," she yelled, briefly letting go of my hand. He looked up. She grabbed my hand again and started running towards him.

When he saw who it was, he dropped the ball. She let me go and jumped, spooning him.

"Shari, how long did she last?" The boy asked, holding her up. "Two hours and forty-five minutes."

"Your voice..." Lani said, jumping down. "You lied... I hate you bruh."

"It was a test."

"Do I look like a pop quiz?"

"Whatever."

Kev looked my way. "Who's that?"

Lani jogged over to me. "This is Daniel. He's new at school, and I had to show him around."

"So you've just made him skip his first day of school?"

"Not exactly.."

"Yeah, she did." I spoke, chuckling. Kev came over and dapped me, shaking his head. "She makes me do this shit all the time bro."

__

Lani

While Kev and Daniel bonded, I went over to Shari with a sly smile on my face. "Swear Lailani, you're not skipping school anymore." She waved her index finger in my face, shaking her head. "Kay momma."

I sat in her lap and she started laughing. "Lani!! Lemme go!"

Her laugh was crazy funny. I started laughing too, causing her to laugh even harder. I stood up and wiped my tears, watching the boys play one-on-one.

"They're going to be real close." Shari said, putting her phone in her pocket.

"I know," I mumbled, watching Kev make a dunk.

"I need to use the restroom. I'll be back."

"Okay."

I walked into the house and greeted their grandmother. She stood in the kitchen, baking sweets.

As I went upstairs, Kev's dog almost knocked me right back down. I played with her for a couple of minutes, almost forgetting that I had to use the restroom.

I didn't my business and washed my hands. I looked in the mirror and frowned.

It was him again...

I was fed up with this. I don't play with ghosts.

"Do you speak? Do you move..or leave me alone?? DID YOU JUST WATCH ME PISS??" I whisper-yelled.

He laughed as I stood there, frozen in shock.

»

»

»

»

«

«

«

«

" w e l l  h e l l o  t o  y o u , L a i l a n i . . . "