Chapter 22 |A Marriage Proposal|

The next day

Orphan

These words echoed around Nandini's head.

Nandini sat on the steps of the Kaveri River as usual, but her face didn't have her usual carefree look. The face which used to shine brighter than the sun was dull. She stared blankly at the pond as the fishes gently kissed her beautiful feet.

Adithan rode his horse toward the river slowly, He let out a sigh of relief as he saw Nandini on the stairs.

Thank God, she's still here

Adithan got down from his horse and approached Nandini.

"Nandini," He called out once. She didn't turn back, "Nandini," He called out twice. Still no reply.

The sorrow that Nandini was drowning in was so overwhelming that she was unable to hear anyone or anything around her. There was only one thing she could hear, and that was Kundavai calling her an orphan. Adithan looked at Nandini's dejected state and frowned.

"Nandini," Adithan called out again as he placed his hands on her shoulder. Nandini jerked awake from her sorrow. She wiped away her tears and put on a fake smile.

"Karikalare," She sniffled and stood up to greet him.

"Nandini, I'm so sorry," Karikalan said holding her hands up to his chest. "Kundavai shouldn't have said that I--"

"It's...okay, Karikalare, I forgot about it," Nandini said pressing her lips into a thin line, trying to hide her tears.

Adithan shook his head and sighed. "It's all because of me,"

"What would you do, Karikalare, it's not your fault that my parents left me," Nandini said simply and turned back.

"No, Nandini," Adithan said. "If people get to know you're going to be the crown Princess they won't dare to talk to you like that," Adithan's voice was filled with guilt, Nandini gave him so much love and the only thing he was able to give back was humiliation, that too from his own sister.

"I should've introduced you to my parents, I shouldn't have kept you hidden like this," Adithan arched his eyebrows. "I'm not going to make this same mistake any longer," Adithan said with determination. "Come," He said tugging on Nandini's hands.

"Where, Karikalare?" Nandini asked following him up the stairs.

"I'm going to announce to the world that you're going be my princess," As soon as those words came out of Adithan's mouth Nandini stopped dead in her tracks.

"Karikalare!" She breathed out, overwhelmed by the news...and not in a good way. Adithan tilted his head towards her and raised his brow.

"What are you worried about?" He asked cupping her face in his hands.

"Karikalare, I a--appreciate you taking initiative but--" Nandini stuttered.

"But?"

"Karikalare, They won't accept us," Nandini let out.

"So what do you propose? That we sneak out each and every night to just meet each other, that's what cowards do, Nandini, I'm not a coward," Adithan turned back and Nandini helplessly followed his lead.

"They will accept us," He said firmly, before ascending his horse. "Get on," Nandini walked back to get on the back of the horse but Adithan stopped her. "In the front," Adithan moved back, making some space.

Nandini looked up at him with a flustered look.

"There's always a woman in front of every man's victory, Nandini," Karikalan let out. "Will you be in front of mine?" Adithan proposed with at most sincerity, his voice overflowing with love and compassion.

Nandini couldn't help by nod at his sincerity. Adithan face sported a huge smile as he held out his hands for Nandini. She held his hands and boarded the horse. Adithan's hands wrapped around Nandini's body as he reached out for the horse's lead.

She felt warm and safe in his embrace, all the worries left her heart as soon as Adithan planted a kiss of assurance on her cheek. At that moment she knew Adithan would take care of anything and that he wouldn't let anyone in this world hurt her.

Adithan kicked the horse's muscles. It began moving slowly through the river.

Nandini could hear her heartbeats, her heart beating faster and faster as they got close to the castle's entrance.

Soon enough, they reached the temple, their way was not empty anymore, but rather filled with merchants and priests who were coming back from their morning prayers.

Thirumalai being one of them looked at his sister in awe. His eyes widened in shock like he saw a ghost.

They all shot the young couple different looks. Looks of disgust, looks of confusion, and not to mention the looks of judgment the temple girls pierced Nandini with for snatching their Prince from them.

They muttered among themselves about who this girl might be.

Nandini turned back her head toward Adithan, Who was proudly looking down at the crowd.

The crowd joined their palms and paid their salutations to the Prince. Adithan gave them a nod of acknowledgment and turned back to Nandini. He waggled his eyebrows and smiled.

Adithan was showing everyone his Princess. The Chozha Desam's future queen.

****

Before Adithan could reach the palace, the news reached Sembiyan Madevi's ears. She and Vanavan rushed out to see the girl who had imprisoned Adithan's heart.

"Anna! What is this?" Kundavai exclaimed as she walked in front of Adithan's horse. The soldiers bowed down and made their way for the Prince and the princess to pass.

"Kundavai, meet your sister-in-law," Adithan laughed as he jumped down his horse, he extended his hands for Nandini to climb down.

"Anna, this is not right," Kundavai said.

Adithan ignored Kundavai. He held Nandini's hands and walked towards the palace.

"Anna!" Kundavai ran behind her brother as they entered the main doors of the castle.

Sembiyan and Vanavan Madevi stood there shocked at the guest who Adithan bought.

"Amma," He walked towards the ladies with his head held high, his hand holding Nandini's tightly as if someone was going to steal her from him. He stood in front of them and smiled calmly.

"Amma, meet the Chozha empire's Crown Princess," Adithan announced and introduced Nandini to the stunned ladies, he turned back to her and gestured for her to get their blessings.

Nandini and Adithan jointly touched the elders' feet and waited for their blessing. Sembiyan Madevi and Vanavan Madevi exchanged confused looks and looked down at the couple.

Nandini's heart was in her throat. It was hammering out of her chest.

Sembiyan and Vanavan reluctantly blessed the couple and made them stand up. They got up.

Nandini hit behind Adithan's shoulders, scared of Sembiyan Madevi's piercing glance. Vanavan was worried about her son. They all had the same question in their minds.

Was this the girl who would stir up a storm in his life?

Kundavai let out a pitiful sigh, she rubbed her face with her hands and turned to the other side unable to watch this atrocity.

Adithan looked over his shoulders and gave Nandini a look of comfort. But no one knew how much Karikalan was screaming inside. The fear of them separating her from him stayed in his mind, but he hid it in the deep pits of his heart.

A/N

Finally, the moment came. Adithan decided to man up and introduce her.

Don't worry, this is not the last Ak-Nandini scene 😉