Ch 43: Detention

Much to my displeasure, the week finally came and went. Waiting each day and night for my detention felt like agony. The hours went at a snail's pace when I had nothing to do. Not every moment had been boring though, Bandit surely made an effort to make it so. The Niffler I had stuck up for and took care of, had a knack for mischief. Being true to her name. When I originally had put her in my bag to treat the wound, I was at a constant loss, having to track her down and take back the metal lids and caps she had stolen from me. So much so that I resorted to placing a door in front of my office. Her response had been to attempt to steal my door knob.

The twins found it hilarious, constantly attempting to try to persuade me to teach her to steal shiny trinkets at our command. Which I'm sure could be useful, although, with her and I still in the beginning stages of our companionship, I highly doubt it'd pull through. She also has caused me to make a habit of tying the bag shut, and shut tightly. In herbology class, she nearly wiggled her way out of my bag; just missing the watchful gaze of Professor Sprout. I also found that she had stolen the buttons from one of my coats one night, that had been a whole new experience in itself.

Thank Merlin, her wounds had started their healing process. Without Hagrid to help, I had to scour the shelves of the library for hours until I found a book on care for creatures' wounds. The book for the care of Magical Creatures did help a good bit at least for Niffler behaviors, Newt had been especially explanative on the matter. The wounds hadn't gotten infected thankfully, although it was a wrestling match just to ensure she didn't wiggle out of my grasp when trying to clean the fluff of the blood. She had not been happy about that. Once we had finished tho, she happily made the hole in the tree of my creature side her home. Since I didn't allow her my buttons or caps from my office, I always made sure to find anything while walking around the halls that had been shiny worthy to give her each night. She eagerly took them, pushing them against the walls of the inner trunk; a small stash of shining objects began.

Taking a deep breath, I made my way to Umbridge's classroom and waited. The sounds of clattering books and screeching chairs could be heard behind the door, class had ended. Leaning against the wall, I waited as the students rushed out clutching the books she made everyone read. In the previous years, the students would actually enjoy this class, curious about future lessons. This year, each of them looked to have several different levels of boredom and tiredness. Learning only by book only went so far for the mind.

After the final student exited out of the classroom, a blob of pink stopped at the doorway. "You're early, I do hope it didn't impede on your studying"

Sighing, I turned to face Umbridge, "no, I didn't have any school work"

"Good good, come inside then." She gestured for me to follow.

I hadn't been inside this classroom since Lupin had taught, the vast difference between the two had been enormous. When Lupin had taught, the room had been filled with several shelves and demonstration items for the class, seats sporadic. Here, it felt orderly, not a single seat out of line. It felt empty. It felt too empty. She took me to the very front of the room to the spiral staircase leading upwards towards the teachers office.

Opening the large door, she ushered me into her office, walking in. I was greeted by a large blast of hot pink and meowing cats on porcelain. I blinked several times while talking in the room. From floor to ceiling it had been plastered and covered with varying shades of bright pink, both the furniture and the doilies on her desk. Countless porcelain tea plates hung neatly on her walls, each with a different cat or some kittens; everyone meowing loudly and purring growing louder as she entered.

"Yes I am here now" she sighed softly before daintily sitting down at her desk.

Her desk had been filled with a plethora of varying objects. A majority of them being stacks of books and papers, stacked evenly next to each other. Several photos of multiple people sat at the other edge, the only one I had recognized had been Cornelius Fudge who stood proudly in the image. Gesturing her hand to the side, she showed the desk I'd be sitting for the evening. Propped in front of it sat a small desk with a singular quill but no ink, a singular piece of parchment sat evenly in the middle. I knew very well why no ink sat on the desk, the quill had been magical. Using the very blood from the user's body. This is the part I dreaded.