Ch 52: Christmas Party and Wrong Decisions

The colder winter finally began to settle in. For quite a while the cold layers of snow littered the mountains and all around the school. It was beautiful to look at snow, it sparkled in the sunlight like a cluster of dazzling gems. Many students did enjoy the snow while it was around, nearly disastrous snowball fights, and enchanted snowmen wars. It would be a spectacle to laugh about if it hadn't been for the complaints I would hear Madam Pomphrey on the occasion under her breath. Serval students had been sent to the infirmary for either broken bones or various stages of frostbite.

When the snow did melt away for a time during the colder months had been when we would  teach  our classes. Not having snow in the yard where we kept the pens did especially help. A majority of the creatures would have a far more comfortable time with solid ground, we had been able to obtain a couple creatures that enjoyed the snow, but a vast majority disliked being in the brisk cold snow for too long.

This afternoon, it had been my turn in the week to teach the students. Gathered around me, they huddled together, arms clutching their elbows as the winter air still hung. While the snow might not have been around, nature did its best to assure us she was still around. With my back towards them, I unbuckled a small trunk in front of me on top of a spare table. The three rustled in the cold breeze as my breath visibly escaped my lips.

Scooping my hand into the box, I felt the creature's small tail like part of its body wrap tightly around my finger. Gently curling my fingers over it to hide, I turned around with a grin on my face. The classes had several students from each house, it had been easy, which had been friendly with the other, and which frowned upon the others.

"Now, today we are going to learn about a special creature. One that fills the hearts with fear of others." I explained wiggling the fingers of my empty hand. "Now, this creature is definitely dangerous, especially if you don't watch out!" I shouted grinning, thrusting my hand forwards as the Swooping Evil bursted from its tiny cocoon, opening its massive wings and it screamed loudly. The students all screamed in panic at the sudden creature, backing away into each other. Laughing, I pulled the creature back into its small cocoon, showing it was now safe.

"That thing is absolutely terrifying! Why'd you throw it at us!?" A hufflepuff fourth year shouted, her eyes widened in fear.

"I knew you would all be safe, the creature is safe within my control. I thought it would be an amusing gesture." I laughed, "sadly, everyone has their own level of humor. Now, in the wild though, you will not be in the same situation as you are now. They are incredibly dangerous, and if caught off guard and they are hungry, they will attack." I opened my hand to show the dangling small green cocoon. "These creatures love the taste of one's brain, may it be muggle or witch or Wizard, so be on your guard. Though dangerous as they are, their venom is especially useful."

"If they're so dangerous, why in Merlin's name would anyone try to capture such a thing?" A ravenclaw fifth year asked, he had calmed down and taken a couple steps forwards.

"That is a good question." I pointed towards him, "Only those who are especially trained should even handle them. Now, while dangerous their venom is easily used to create vials of potions that remove bad memories. Much like the obliviate spell, but more direct." I smiled, several of the other students had seemed rather interested, others writing notes in their journals. The wonder that had been in some of their eyes was what fueled me, gave me such bliss when teaching.

Turning around, I walked back towards the container the Swooping Evil had been kept in. Angling my hand in, its tail slipped off of my finger, plopping down on the bottom gently. Closing the hatch, I walked to the next pen not too far off, gesturing to the students to follow me. Holding their arms tightly against their bodies, they shivered from the cold stiffly following after me. As we grew closer to the pen, they let out a sigh of relief as we reached what had held Fire Dwelling Salamander. Hagrid and I had been able to set up a good enough pen for the creature, enchanted fire rocks and small cave networks for the creature had been made. It wouldn't be their complete ideal place they'd live, but it'd be a good substitute.