Eight

A week passed as Hazel stood in the kitchen as she made pancakes.

What happened that night was all she could think about as she heard Claude talking to someone over the phone in the room next to the kitchen.

She was curious but knew that it wouldn't be smart to question him about anything about what he did that led to him being in that alleyway.

Hazel placed four pancakes on her plate before dousing them in syrup before walking to the dining room where Claude was.

She sat down across from him as their eyes met causing her heart to pound in her chest.

Did he remember kissing her?

She looked at him before eating her breakfast while focusing on the crackling fire and not him and the conversation he was having.

No matter how curious she was she knew not to overstep.

She didn't want to know what he did when he left the mansion as she knew whatever it was wasn't good.

She could faintly overhear some of the things he was saying as he talked about getting a job done and feeling with a group of people.

It sent chills down her spine.

Suddenly he hung up his phone call before looking at her "How did you sleep?" he asked as he placed his arms on the table.

She looked into his eyes "Good.

How about you?" she asked.

"Decent," he said.

It was all so awkward as the tension began to suffocate her.

"I was wondering if I could go into the garden today," she said.

"You don't need to ask" he said.

"I just thought that because it wasn't in the mansion you wouldn't like me going out there" she said.

"You can but not today" he said causing her face to drop.

"Why?" she asked as sadness and disappointment filled her voice.

She had thought he had gotten better but he was just as two-faced as the first day she met him.

She couldn't tell what he was thinking and it drove her crazy.

"I thought we could go into town together," he said.

"I thought I wasn't supposed to leave the mansion," she said.

"I'll be with you.

It'll be fine.

What do you say?" he said.

"I would like that a lot," she said.

"We'll leave at ten.

I'll come get you" he said.

She smiled.

She was finally going to leave the mansion as well as spend time with Claude.

Hazel finished her breakfast as he studied her.

Hazel then stood up "I'll go get ready" she said before putting her plate in the dishwasher.

She then rushed to her room knowing that she only had thirty minutes to get ready.

She got dressed in a tight knee-length navy blue dress and plain flats before going into the bathroom.

She looked at herself in the mirror before brushing out her hair.

She put a small amount of makeup on before hearing knocking at her door.

She put perfume on before walking to the door.

She opened it to see Claude in a dark purple button-down that was rolled up at his elbows and slightly unbuttoned revealing a hint of his chest hair with make her feel lightheaded and black suit trousers and dress shoes.

He was also wearing a few rings and the watch he never took off.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yeah.

You look nice by the way" she said as she blushed.

"Come on," he said while hiding a smirk.

He took her hand; lacing their fingers causing her heart to stop.

She then smiled softly knowing that maybe he did remember the kiss.

He walked her to his car which brought back so many memories.

He opened the door for her that lead to the front passenger seat.

She got in before watching him walk around before sitting in the driver's seat.

She looked at him and wondered what he was thinking.

She wanted to know if she affected him as much as he affected her.