Indentured

Welcome to my new story! Since Wings To Die had such good reception, this one is styled in a similar way. I'd like to thank the lovely girl Moni (@Belwatson) for being my beta reader. I hope you all enjoy this.

Mac

Sachiel can't breathe. Never has he experienced such pain, such blinding pain that he's asphyxiated. He can't even remember how it happened, can't begin to process how he could have been so stupid. After all his years of service, he should know better than to pass through a living soul. He clutches at his chest, gasping, wings disobeying him and fluttering out behind him, quivering excitedly.

One moment he was guiding a soul into the afterlife, and the next he was being bound. His soul being drawn out in silky strands and tied to that of a living human. He watches in horror as the strands of white and silver light dance and thread themselves together. Watches as his soul tethers with the woman's before him.

Then it's over and the light dies out, he can breathe again but he's bound to Earth, he can feel it as he gazes upon the woman's face.

She's crying, a trembling hand settled on her chest. Pearly drops slide over the blushed skin of her cheeks, red from the wind. Her face is framed with soft brown curls and Sachiel is struck by her plain beauty. She's staring straight through him and it takes him a moment to remember she can't see him. The wing's that embraced the pair flutter in place before sliding back and out of the way, the gentle breeze they cause has the girl closing her eyes and her bottom lip trembling.

He's confused, not once has he seen a human react like this in his last hundred years of service, give or take a few years. Guardians normally inflict feelings of warmth and protection the moment they're tethered, so why is she crying?

Sachiel doesn't get a chance to ask as the lights change and the girl draws herself together, walking straight through him and across the road.

Sachiel will remember the blinding pain of her doing so for a long time to come.