Chapter 29

Daniella hums from the other side of the line as I fill her in on the latest chisme. "Can't say I'm surprised, not that I was expecting it either."

"It's such a beautiful love story though... except the hiding, the lack of family support adjacent to the fact one of them died and the other has yet to move on."

She is silent for a good second before answering. "You might need to update your definition of 'such a beautiful love story', Anna," she chuckles.

"I'm sure they loved each other very much, isn't that what matters most in the end?" I raise my eyebrows even though she's not seeing me. "All of those things are external factors, I'm sure they went through a lot but they still persisted till the very end."

"If you put it that way—" she starts but another call entry cuts her off. My dad has been trying to call me since this morning and this might as well be the third time since Daniella called to wish me a happy Thanksgiving. "You should answer," she sighs as I decline the call.

"Why should I? He has barely made an effort to talk since I left, he doesn't even care to know how I'm doing."

"I'm sure he does."

"Clearly," I roll my eyes. "He persisted in the first two days and then gave up."

"He does text me every other day," she says in a lower tone, seemingly unsure of how I would react to it.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I knew you wouldn't like that."

"I don't, because I would rather him come directly to me," I breathe in, trying not to dump my stress on Daniella, since it's clearly not her fault any of this is happening.

"I know, I'm sorry for not saying anything but I felt a little bad about him, he seemed desperate and I imagine it's not easy to have your daughter completely cut ties with you — even if he's the one at fault."

"It's fine, I'm not mad at you..."

"Answer the phone, Anna, maybe he wants to apologize."

"I don't want a half-assed apology, I want him to open his eyes and see what he's become, what that woman is doing to him... and I doubt that's going to happen any time soon — not while he's still on cloud nine thinking I'm the bad guy for not supporting his love."

"You're right, but it's Thanksgiving, maybe talking to you might bring some sense into him."

"You're not letting this go, now are you?" I sigh, running my hands over my face.

"I won't bother you about it anymore if you really don't want to talk to him, I just think you should give him a chance to speak even if it amounts to nothing... I don't want you to regret it later on in life," she says in a more mellow voice, I know she has also had complications with her dad and I wonder if she has regrets like that.

"Alright, I'll let him speak, and I'll let you go back to your family now too. They must be waiting for you, it's almost lunchtime."

"Don't say that, you're not taking my time. Plus my aunts get distracted easily, I'm sure the food isn't even half done."

"But you should be spending time with them, you barely ever see them now."

"Well, I think I can spend as little as an hour with my girlfriend too, can't I?" she asks in a teasing tone.

"Absolutely," I chuckle. "It's been nearly two hours though."

"Has it?" Surprise in her voice. "Then I really should check on what they're doing in that kitchen."