Chapter 18

Daniella sighs into my head as I change my position in bed for the nth time that night. "Anna, I can't fall asleep if you keep moving," she says with a sleepy voice.

"I'm sorry, I can't sleep," I murmur, untangling myself from her arms and sitting down in bed. "It's ok, you don't need to hold me."

"But what if I want to?" she says, turning on the light of her bedside lamp and sitting by my side. "Are you still thinking about what happened?"

"Of course, I am."

"You're upset about it — wouldn't it just prove that your dad is hiding it because you'd be upset?"

"But I'm not upset that he's seeing someone, I'm upset that he's hiding it." She simply hums, implying that she doesn't really believe it. "What? You think I am?"

"I don't think you are, at least voluntarily. But look how fixated you were to know what he was doing, you could have just let him tell you when he's comfortable doing so."

"And what if he never actually tells me?"

"That's up to him, it's not our place to force things out of people."

I simply lay back down, giving her my back. I know I'm being childish but can't help this weird feeling of betrayal, it's not like my dad is seeing a forbidden someone and even if I were to be upset about it, I'm still his daughter.

"Anna," she groans, spooning me from behind. "Are you going to be mad at me too?"

"I'm not mad at you."

"I think you are."

"I'm not."

"Then give me a kiss," she whispers into my ear with an amused tone.

"How is a kiss going to prove that I'm not mad at you?" I chuckle, rolling in her arms so we're facing each other. "Should I be taking notes? Are you not going to kiss me when you're mad at me?"

She doesn't say anything, she just looks at me waiting for my kiss. I sigh, closing the distance between us, tasting the minty flavor from her toothpaste that is still on her lips. "So you're not mad at me."

"Because I kissed you?" I raise my eyebrows. "I'm sorry to tell you that I'd kiss you even if I was mad at you."

"It's not that you kissed me, it's the way you kiss me that tells me if you're mad or not," she smiles, caressing my cheek. "You wouldn't be giving me such sweet kisses if you were, using as reference the ones you'd give me when you were upset because of the note."

"Don't remind me of that," I groan, burying my head on her chest.

"I signed it," she whispers in my ear. "Do you want to see it?"

"Why? Did you cross the 'no'?" I raise my head.

"Maybe," she jokes.

"You're an idiot," I say, pushing her away, she laughs, getting up from the bed and picking the note from her bookshelf.

"Here," she says, handing it to me.

I slowly open the note as dramatically and suspensefully as I can, it came to no surprise that she crossed the 'yes' but she also left a little note under it. "If the theory of the multiverse is true, and if there are infinite parallel universes where we'd meet under infinite circumstances and where it'd end up resulting in this note, I'd say yes in all of them," I read, looking back at her, a deep blush coming all the way from her neck to her ears that I can't help but mimic.

"You said it yourself — that certain people are destined to meet," she says, inching closer to me.

"You remember that," I tease her, accepting her kiss. "I had the impression you thought these things were sappy."