The Before: Worry

Ney'ite sat quietly as she ate with her siblings. Kiri held Tuk while Lo'ak was getting his second helping of food. Her mother and father were talking with the people. Ney'ite was glad she would never have the responsibilities of her parents or brother; it was a lot of tiring work. Everyone in the clan was chattering away. She looked at the crowd with tired eyes. It was always clear which ones were training to be warriors. They wore the same tired look and stayed out of the conversation. Ney'ite saw at least ten others who looked like her and Neyetam.

"So, what did you guys do today?" Lo'ak asked as he sat down with his food.

"Lots of running through the forest," Neyetam yawned.

"And archery practice," Ney'ite said. "Lots of archery practice."

"That's all you've been doing for a year," Lo'ak huffed. "When are you guys going to learn how to hunt and fight?"

"You do realize that you'll be doing the same thing too," Ney'ite said. "Everyone goes through this."

"Not me," Lo'ak held his head up. "I'm going to be the youngest warrior in the clan."

"In your dreams, skxawng," Kiri rolled her eyes as she fed Tuk. "Mom and Dad actually have to decide that you're ready before you even think about becoming a warrior."

Lo'ak turned a dark shade of blue, "I am ready! It's not my fault that they don't see it."

"Bro," Neyetam tried to calm him down. "Mom and Dad are just doing what they think is best for you. I bet you'll start your training soon."

"Shut up," Lo'ak snapped at Neyetam. "The only reason why Ney'ite and you are training to become warriors is dumb luck."

"Quiet, Lo'ak," Ney'ite hissed at her brother. "Don't blame us because Mom and Dad won't let you start training. It's not like we wanted to be almost killed by the Quiet Death that day. Whatever happens is the will of Ewya."

"Why are you pissed off?" Lo'ak was starting to push her buttons.

"Lo'ak, stop it," Kiri said. "You're going to make her mad."

Tuk just ignored the brewing tension and switched between babbling and eating the food in front of her.

"And what are you four getting yourself into?" Jake asked as he walked up to them. He took Tuk from Kiri's arms. Tuk immediately started to grab at his hair.

"It's nothing," Neyetam said as he looked at all of his siblings. The message was clear: don't say anything, we don't want a lecture. Ney'ite couldn't agree more with that statement. Luckily, Lo'ak kept his mouth shut.

"Just tired," Ney'ite said as she smiled up at her father.

"Have you two gotten enough to eat?" Jake asked her and Neyetam. "I heard that you two pushed yourself hard today."

"Yes, Dad," Neyetam nodded.

"Why don't the two of you head off to bed," Jake said. "Ney'ite looks like she's about to fall asleep right here and now, and you don't look too far off from there either, Neyetam."

The twins didn't say anything. They simply nodded and stood up. Ney'ite and Neyetam walked back into their family area. It had been another long day of training. Ney'ite immediately collapsed onto one of the hammocks. Neyetam laid down next to her. The twins laid back to back as they felt the ache of their muscles. All Ney'ite wanted to do was to close her eyes and fall into a deep sleep. Neyetam, unfortunately for her, wanted to be a chatter box.

"Can you believe it's been a year," Neyetam said.

"No," Ney'ite said. "Now let me go to sleep."

"I know we still have a long way to go, but I think Mom said we're on track to complete our training, claim our ikrans, and to take our place among the people by the time we've seen three more years."