The Before: A New Star

Ney'ite laid between Tysal's leg with her back pressed against his chest. Neyetam sat besides them as he leaned back on his hands. Marali rested her head on Aytanin's shoulder. They were all watching the night sky. The stars of Pandora were looking down and smiling upon them.

"Why haven't we done this more?" Marali asked with a big yawn.

"Because we have responsibilities that leave us tired," Aytanin replied.

"I have never heard truer words spoken," Neyetam said.

"The why isn't important," Tysal said. "All that matters is that we are doing it now." He looked at his friends. "Besides, I have big news that I think will be fun to share with all of you."

"Do tell," Ney'ite said as she braided some bark.

"I believe that I am close to finding my spirit brother," Tysal said. "When I last communed with Ewya she showed me the same place that I did in my Dream Hunt. An open clearing with an ever present shadow of something moving."

"Ewya has smiled down upon you," Ney'ite said, though she did not want to offer anymore to the conversation. Her Dream Hunt filled her with confusion more than anything. The friends had never spoken of their Dream Hunts before, and she was grateful for that. It left no room for discussion that her path might lead away from theirs.

"Ewya showed me that my spirit brother is the ikran that I claimed," Neyetam said. "I knew from the moment I claimed him, that it was different from anything that I have ever heard."

"The Great Mother showed me the same thing," Aytanin said. "Though, I don't know if it's different from what we've heard. It's just hard to put into the words the importance of the bond we share with our ikrans."

"I am still to find the creature I will share my soul with," Marali said. "Ewya showed me that I will come upon a creature in great need of my assistance. Then, and only then, will I find creature that I seek."

"What about you, sister?" Neyetam looked over at her. "What did Ewya show you."

"Something unexpected," Ney'ite said as she stared straight ahead of her. She did not want to meet her brother's, love's, or friends' eyes.

"Well that's not an answer," Tysal said as he squeezed her. "Come on, tell us what you saw."

"I was not in the forest," her mind drifted off to what Ewya had showed her many months before. Ney'ite bit the inside of her lip, "I was in the ocean. The water was clear and beautiful. I heard a low song that grew louder and louder. I saw a strange sea creature that I did not know, but it was kind and smart and took me to the surface. As I looked around, someone called out my name. I did not know the voice, but my heart and soul did. And then, I returned to our world, left curious and wondering about what it all meant." Ney'ite looked up at Tysal. "That is what the Great Mother showed me."

"If you wanted to take a trip to the beaches of this land you could have just told me," Tysal said.

Neyetam reached over and punched Tysal's arm.

"What was that for," Tysal asked as he looked at Neyetam.

"Not the time," Neyetam shook his head.

"Ewya has set you on a strange path, Ney'ite" Aytanin said. "I don't think I've ever heard of one of our people venturing into the ocean."

"Why do you think I was relucent to speak," Ney'ite said as she glanced at the older girl. "I do not wish my destiny to take me away from any of you."

"Like it would be that easy," Marali said. "

"She's right," Tysal kissed the top of her head. "Where you go, we follow. We are a team. We are a family. We do not leave each other behind."

"Thanks," Ney'ite smiled softly. It was always good to hear words of reassurance from her friends.