The During: Tulkuns

Ney'ite sat with Kiri inside their hut. Ney'ite had thick ropes in her hands and was weaving them together to make a net. She glanced at Kiri and saw that her sister still looked sad. No, it looked like a piece of her was lost. Ney'ite's heart broke when she learned that her sister couldn't visit the Spirit Tree again.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Ney'ite asked Kiri. She looked back down at her net.

"Not really," Kiri said.

"Okay," Ney'ite responded. She wouldn't force the issue on her sister.

"It's just not fair," Kiri sighed. "Why do I have to be the one who carries this burden."

"I wish I knew, Kiri," Ney'ite said as she put down her net. "And I wish that I could take this burden from you. But, no matter what happens I will always be here to help you through it."

"Thanks," Kiri said.

"Kiri, Ney'ite!" Tuk exclaimed as she ran into the hut. "Come on!" She grabbed Kiri's hand and Ney'ite's hand and tried to get them up.

"Tuk, leave me alone," Kiri groaned as Tuk got them up. Tuk dragged them to the opening on their hut. "What do you want?"

"Look," Tuk pointed to the water.

"Oh my," Ney'ite's eyes widened.

The water was filled with large magnificent creatures. Ney'ite's breath was stolen when she realized that they were just like the creature she had seen in her Dream Hunt. It was like she was always meant to be here. All over, Na'vi were jumping into teh water. They were swimming out to meet their brothers and sisters. Ney'ite could hear someone shouting that 'the Tulkun have returned!'. Tulkun. Ney'ite smiled and dove into the water. She saw Neyetam sitting on an ilu. She swam up to her brother.

"Teyam," Ney'ite said as she surfaced next to him.

"What?" Neyetam said as he turned to look at her. He had a big smile on his face.

"A Tulkun!" Ney'ite exclaimed. "A Tulkun is what I saw in my Dream Hunt!"

"You're one step closer to finding out your destiny, Yite," Neyetam smiled. He turned back to the open water. The Tulkuns were jumping out of the water. "This is amazing. I've never seen anything like this."

"Neither have I," Ney'ite said. She was totally entranced by the scene in front of her. The Omatikaya always had a strong connection with their ikrans, but this was something entirely different. Ney'ite could feel it in the air. It was other worldly.

"There you are," Aunong said as he surfaced. Both Ney'ite and Neyetam jumped as they heard the voice. "Don't act like scared jungle animals."

"What do you want, Aunong?" Ney'ite asked as she slowed down her heart rate.

"I was going to ask if you wanted to meet my spirit brother," Aunong said.

"You mean I can see a Tulkun up close, up close," Ney'ite's jaw dropped open.

"Yes," Aunong laughed. "You can come too, Neyetam."

"I'd rather just watch for right now," Neyetam said. He was back to focusing on everything else around him. He was soaking up every single detail of the day.

"Come on," Aunong said as he dived back under the water. Ney'ite took a breath and followed him.

Under the water, Tulkun and Na'vi swam side by side. The Na'vi were signing to the Tulkuns. Explaining to them about all that had happened since they had been away. The Tulkuns seemed to be responding to them, though, Ney'ite had no way of knowing what they were saying. Ney'ite couldn't help but smile as she followed Aunong. He stopped in front of a Tulkun. He looked young. The Tulkun's eyes were full of light and wonder.

"This is my spirit brother," Aunong signed to her. "His name is Kontu." He turned towards Kontu. "This is Ney'ite. She is from the forest. Very far away from here."

Kontu let out a high pitch sound and was looking Aunong directly in the eye. Ney'ite watched the pair with wonder. Ney'ite had no way of knowing what was being said, and yet, she knew that the unbreakable pair was saying everything to each other.

"He says he is glad you found your way here," Aunong signed to her.

Ney'ite didn't say anything to Aunong. She swam up to Kontu. She put a hand on his side. She smiled as she looked into his eyes. He was truly magnificent. Kontu swam a bit closer to Ney'ite and put his body against hers. He let out a low hum. Ney'ite felt safe next to Kontu. She stayed there for a few moments before swimming away from Kontu.

"Thank you," she signed at him. Kontu just closed his eyes.

Ney'ite wanted to stay down, but she needed air. She looked up and started to swim. When she broke the surface, she took a deep breath of air. Aunong surfaced right after her.

"Thank you," Ney'ite said as she was catching her breath. "Thank you so much. That was amazing!"

"Kontu likes you," Aunong smiled. "He says you seem to have a good heart."

"Go," Ney'ite smiled. "Be with your spirit brother. I will find my siblings."

"I will see you later," Aunong said before he dived back into the water.

Ney'ite swam back to the walkways of the village. She pulled herself onto the walkway and just watched. Everyone was so happy. She saw Tuk and Kiri with Roxto next to a Tulkun. Neyetam was with Tsireya. Ney'ite watched as they dove down. The only one she couldn't see was Lo'ak. Ney'ite knew that he had made a connection with Payakan. She also knew that Payakan was outcast. He wouldn't be with the pod that had arrived today. Ney'ite walked back to her family's hut to see if she could find her brother.

Lo'ak was lying in the hut when Ney'ite walked in. His eyes were red and his face was devoid of all emotion. Ney'ite sat next to her brother. She wasn't entirely sure of what to say to him. She grabbed Lo'ak's hand.

"I know you wish he was here," Ney'ite whispered. "I am sorry he is not."

"I just wish I knew why he was outcast," Lo'ak said. "If I knew, I could help him. I could make the others see that he's not bad. Then, he would be able to join the rest of them. He would be able to visit me freely."

"Oh, Lo'ak," Ney'ite sighed as she looked at her brother. "One day, he will. The two of you will be able to spend your days swimming and laughing and doing the things that spirit brothers do."

"We have not made tsaheylu," Lo'ak said. "We are not spirit brothers yet."

"That is nonsense," Ney'ite said. "The two of you are spirit brothers in every essence of the word. He understands you and you, him. I see the look of happiness on your face when you sneak away to see him, just as I see the look of sadness in your eyes when you return. The sea gave a gift. It gave you another brother. One who gets you in a way that Neyetam just can't."

"Do you really think that can be our future?" Lo'ak asked.

"I do," Ney'ite said. "I think it was always meant to be your future." She paused for a moment. "You were never able to accomplish your Dream Hunt, but I think yours would take you away from the forest. It would take you here and show you Payakan."

"You really think so," Lo'ak asked as he looked at her.

"Mine did," Ney'ite said. "Sometimes we must walk along path we don't fully understand, brother. You have adapted better than any of us. You were always meant to be a part of the Metkayina."

"They see me as an outsider though," Lo'ak said. "Just like Payakan."

"That is why the two of you found each other," Ney'ite said. "Ewya binds souls that she knows need each other." Ney'ite pulled her brother into a sitting position and sat in front of him. She placed her hands on his shoulders. "You will find your place, Lo'ak. It is only a matter of time. But, in the mean time, you have to keep moving forward. Put aside your sadness of the day and look towards the bright tomorrow. You are bound for great things, Lo'ak. I just know it."