Chapter 19: The Truth Is, I Love You

...

"S-Shin-kun..." Ai stands in front of Shin in dismay. She doesn't know what to do.

This was something she frequently saw at meet-and-greets. Fans who have lost their sense of self. Those who have lost their way in life.

To Ai, this should have been easy to deal with. Whenever she comes across a fan in such a state, she always has the best words to say; the perfect lies to tell. It should have been easy, making up lies to make Shin feel better.

Right before they left Null, Verden asked Ai for a favor. To lie to Shin.

["Promise me, Hoshino-san. No matter what, do not tell Kujike-san about this. I'm afraid of what he'll do once the word gets out. Please. This should be easy for you, considering your profession."]

...

....

.....

There was something wrong with her. It was an odd feeling.

She couldn't think of a lie.

All she can think of is the truth and how much she wants to tell Shin everything.

A liar who can no longer lie.

Tears slowly fall from Ai's eyes to her cheeks, now to her chin. She doesn't know why.

*What do I say?*

...

*How do I lie my way out of this?*

...

*Why can't I think of anything?!*

...

*Come on, Ai Hoshino! Think of something! Anything!!*

...

Nothing.

Not a single lie can form in her thoughts. It's nothing but truth, truth, and truth.

...

B-Komachi's Ai; unable to think of a lie.

Her one weapon both in real life and onstage. Useless.

...

She has no other choice. It can be anything, as long as she can keep her promise to Verden.

Anything. Even the 'truth' that lingers in her mind every single day.

...

"Mama-!" Aqua could feel it. He knew his mother was going to say the wrong thing at the wrong time.

*Ai! Please, not now!*

...

"Big bro. Stop. Let Mama do it." Ruby tugs on Aqua's shirt, pulling him back away from Ai.

...

The twins stare at each other. They know that they can't stop Ai once she's made up her mind.

All they can do now,

Is trust in the idol and mother they love.

...

....

.....

"Thank you, Aqua... Ruby... But this is my choice. I'll bear the burden of all the consequences that come after. Even if it hurts me, I'll do anything for Shin-kun." Ai hugs the twins tightly, her hands trembling.

She's not ready. The twins and she herself knows that.

...

*But what choice do I have?*