Chapter 20-B: Just Buy Her A Ring Already

...

"I see. Honestly, I am not surprised." Zirh said as she parked the limousine at an open spot in front of a building with th sign 'Argonaut Tavern.'

"Wha-? Really? I didn't notice at all the first time I saw Shin-kun! Mind you, I am an expert in stuff like body language and the like, umu~!" Ai insisted, opening the car door while holding Ruby.

The group had arrived at Argonaut Tavern. It was the name of Shifty's diner, the same one they ate at a few weeks ago.

Zirh opens the door for Shin and Aqua. "Well, with someone as skilled as Mr. Kujike, it would take one to know one. Actually, I already knew Mr. Kujike a few years back when he started out."

"Wait, really?! Shin-kun, why didn't you say so?!" Ai lightly jabs Shin's shoulder as he gets out of the car holding Aqua.

"Wha- Because I didn't know who she was?!"

"What do you mean, meanie?!"

Zirh snickers as she locks the car doors. "It's only natural~ I had a different name and appearance in the past. Too different for Mr. Kujike to recognize me."

"Wait, so... Who exactly are you, Ms. Zirh?" Shin asked.

Zirh clears her throat before speaking. "Ahem... Charlotte Allen."

...

"A- Allen-sensei?!? Seriously?!?!?" Shin yelled, making Ai and the twins jump in shock.

"Woa- Papa!"

"That was one big surprise, huh."

"Woah~ So that means you can beat Shin-kun in a fight?"

Ai and the twins speak in tandem, their words obscured by each other.

"No wonder why you didn't need directions to Shifty-san's restaurant..." Shin sighed.

"Why, of course. I'm a regular here. Always has been. Just keep calling me 'Zirh.' I actually prefer that name now. 'Charlotte' is a name for young and beautiful women." Zirh pats Shin on the back, chuckling as she stabbed herself with her own words.

...

....

.....

The group heads into the diner. Many tables were empty, but those that weren't had wealthy-looking people using them.

...

"Oh, Charlie? Back so soon? You just ate here yesterday. Huh, who are those people behind you?" A beautiful, young-looking woman with silky black hair that touches the ground greets Zirh and the group.

"Clients. I am their chaperone. They wanted to dine here. They already have, once, in the past. Are there any tables for five available, Medea?" Zirh inquired.

Shin and the cane catches the woman's eyes as she walks toward him. "... Charlie. Why does he have this cane?" The woman asked in an intimidating tone.

"Ah, it was Mr. Stark's-"

"I'm Mr. Stark's successor. That's all you need to know." Shin cuts off Zirh, his tone firm and strong.

The woman scoffs, waving her hand in a condescending manner. "Really? You? Follow me."

...

....

.....

The woman leads the group down a flight of stairs found behind one of the staff doors in the kitchen. As they reach the end of the stairs, a steel door lies in front of them.

"We're here." The woman opens the door and leads the group inside. The door reveals a room covered in a grid of white.

"Medea, what are you planning? Mr. Kujike only received the cane this afternoon! There's no way-" Zirh is once again cut off, this time, by the woman.

The woman scoffs with a furious look on her face. "Hah! If he can't use the cane, then he's not worth being called Stark's successor. You should know that, Charlotte."

"Wait! I'm not here to fight! We just... We just wanted to take a break and eat! Your name is Medea-san, right? I'm an friend of Shifty-san! I-"

"Ugh, so you're a friend of that perv. Even more reason to beat you up right now." Medea stops Shin from completing his sentence.

"P-Perv..."

"Mr. British guy is a perv...?"

"Wow... That's news to me!"

...

Medea strikes a draw stance, holding nothing but thin air at her waist.

What...?" Shin's expression becomes confused.

"Can't see it? Too bad, then. Because this one's for that weeny lady over there." Medea glares at Ai from a distance, implying that she is her target.

...

"....." Shin remains silent.

"Compressed air launched at high speeds. Can you really block that? Or will your darling take the hit~?" Medea grins.

She draws nothingness.

....

BMMM

....

However, before she could swing the air, a sudden weight pushes down on her arms as Shin's cane lightly taps the ground.

...

"Heh~! So you could do it after all." The weight is lifted from Medea's arms as she smirks in satisfaction.

"You knew? That it was a test? You could have flattened me right there!" Medea asks Shin.

"You don't sound like a bad person. I know that, because Shifty-san and Ms. Zirh are friends with you."

".... BAHAHAHA~! Well, aren't you a flatterer!" Medea bursts into laughter, holding her stomach.

"Waaaa..."

"That was honestly pretty scary."

The twins breath a loud sigh of relief, still holding onto Ai.

"Sigh... You two, always worrying~" Ai sighs as she pats Aqua and Ruby.

...

"But keep this in mind, Medea-san. If you dare hurt Ai-san or the twins, I'll still kill you. Shifty-san's opinion won't matter, nor Ms. Zirh's." Shin cautioned.

Medea interjects. "Ugh, will you just buy her a ring already?! Don't act like that perv!" She bellows.

"He bought me a ring two years late, that idiot..."

...

Shin turns red as he turns his head towards Ai, whose face was also flushed.

Shin quickly walks toward Medea and Zirh.

"But what kind...?" Shin whispers.

BONK

.

"That's something you have to think about on your own, idiot! Being raised by that perv really rubbed off on you, huh?!?!" Medea exclaims, hitting Shin on the head with her fist.

...

..

.

It was a lively scenario. Though Shin and the Hoshinos haven't eaten yet, their hunger masked by excitement and happiness, they already feel full.

Full of hope for a future where they are together.

The cane of his potential mentor and his will to protect his eventual family will pave a way for that future.

To protect Ai, Aqua, Ruby, and Amethyst.
...

..

.

.

.

Chapter 20-B: END