Epilogue

The four of them all walked up the steps to the monastery unsure of what to expect. The entire fortress was made of stone, with two walk ways being parted by a large column like structure in the center. They took the left stair case up until they stood in front of two metal doors. Eradros paused for a moment to look back at everyone.
Gavhelus: Well go on. Make sure you knock hard mate. Geezers probably all hard of hearin'.
Eradros smiled at the comment as he turned back toward the door. He then raised his hand and gave it a good knocking. They all stood there waiting for a response. It was silent for a moment, then the doors quaked, and dust began to fall from the stone around them. They slowly started opening while dragging along the stone on the ground. They were now open, and they stood in the doorway looking into the stone temple. They all took a few steps in, seeing no one at first. Then, several hooded figures began appearing from all sides of the main room.
Hooded figure 1: He has finally graced us with his presence.
Hooded figure 2: Indeed he has.
Hooded figure 3: We called for him years ago.
Hooded figure 4: It matters not. He is here.
Eradros looked around at the room as the figures moved toward them. Kinetrius stepped in front of everyone slowly, eager to meet them.
Kinetrius: Do you mean me? Am I the one you called for years ago?
Hooded man 1: Indeed you are, young one. We heard your Thu'um five years ago. We heard the pain in it, the rage. We responded with one of our own, but it went unanswered up until now.
Hooded man 2: It is our duty to teach and nurture the thu'um. Guide it.
Eradros: The thu'um,...?
Hooded man 3: It translates to "Voice" in dragon's tongue.
Hooded man 4: The thu'um is a powerful weapon. Capable of immeasurable destruction if not carefully cultivated. I'm sure you have already witnessed this.
Kinetrius: I,...lost control. Almost immediately. I don't know if I want to use something so destructive again.
Hooded man 4: Fret not child. There are,...other ways to use the voice. Ones of a more passive variety. For instance,...
The man stepped into the center of the room and shouted at the floor. In the same instance a word began carving itself into the stone at his feet. It was of a language they had never seen before.
Hooded man 4: I want to step forward and focus on the word placed on the ground. Consider this,...a test, of your aptitude with the voice.
Kinetrius stepped forward while staring at the word on the ground. He almost seemed drawn to it. It was like he could feel what it meant. The closer he got to it, the more entrancing it became. Soon the word began to glow vibrantly. The aura emitting from it seemed to seep into him as he gazed into it. Wind was swirling around Kinetrius for a moment until the glowing stopped suddenly. It seemed the process had been completed. This felt a bit odd for him. He looked up at the hooded man for the next instruction.
Hooded man 4: I'm going to give you a target, and I want you to use the thu'um you just learned on it. Do not worry. No one will be harmed.
The man then shouted again and a ghostly clone of himself appeared in the middle of the room before Kinetrius.
Hooded Man 4: Picture the word not only in your minds eye, but in the eye of your heart as well.
Hooded man 1: Breathe deeply while envisioning the word. Expanding the diaphragm as much as possible. Then,...speak.
Kinetrius stood in front of the clone and took a deep slow breath. He closed his eyes while inhaling to envision the word as instructed. He could see it, clear as day. He then went to release the shout.
Kinetrius: FUS RO DAH!!!
As he shouted a great gust of wind came from his mouth, pushing the clone back and causing it to disappear. This was different from the fire shout he used years ago. He was not completely exhausted. He stood up in astonishment. The hooded man stepped forward.
Hooded man 4: Good. You are indeed dragonborn. A normal person needs years to master any one thu'um, but the dragonborn can do so in an instant.
He summons another clone to the center of the room.
Hooded man 4: Again.
Kinetrius readied himself for a moment, and then shouted once more, sending the clone hurdling backwards until it was no more. He became excited by this. Finally, something that could give him an edge over the dragons. Something that felt different from the hand he'd been given until now. Eradros stepped forward.
Eradros: Will you be able to teach the boy how to master it?
Hooded man 1: Oh yes,...assuming he stays with us.
Gavhelus: Wait what? I'm sure you lot don't get out much, but incase you haven't noticed, there are dragons about. Literally saw one on the way here mate.
Hooded Man 2: I'm afraid we cannot assist you in waging war against the dragons. We greybeards practice the thu'um as a means to understand their way, not to combat them.
Eradros: I don't understand,...you called him here. What was all this for then?
Hooded man 3: It is quite simple,...The boy has two options. If he wishes to learn the thu'um in it's entirety,...he must forgo any ambitions of using the voice for violence. But if war with the dragons is truly what he seeks,...then we must part ways here i'm afraid.
Minevi: You can't be serious. Do you have any idea what we went through to get here?
Hooded man 3: By the looks of it,...some great deal of danger I presume.
Gavhelus: You havin' a laugh at us mate?
Kinetrius: It's fine!
Gavhelus: You think this a jo-... Wait, what?
Kinetrius turned around towards the door and began walking passed everyone. They were caught off guard by his response.
Erardros: Lad are you sure about this? This might be our only shot at getting you ready.
Kinetrius: We don't have time for this! People are dying because of the dragons returning and I have to do something about it. If they won't help,...then we'll find some other way.
He then continues to the door as Eradros and the others looked at each other in confusion. Gavhelus shrugged his shoulders and followed happily behind Kinetrius. He had decided he didn't care much for the old men and was glad to be rid of they're constant talking in circles. Eradros looked back at them with an exhausted frustration in his eyes.
Eradros: You're right lad. We don't have time for this.
He then threw his hood over his head as he and Minevi turned to join them.
Greybeard 1: Stop right there youngling!
Greybeard 2: It seems he has passed.
Greybeard 3: Indeed. I suppose we can begin.
Gavhelus hears this and turns around abruptly.
Gavhelus: And what are you lot on about now?
Greybeard 4: It's quite simple. We tested him.
Greybeard 5: And he's passed.
Eradros steps back into the room once he heard. He then removed his hood.
Eradros: Lets pretend everyone is as confused as my friend here. What does that mean exactly?
Greybeard 1: The Dragonborn is not the only one who has sought out the Thu'um. Many who have learned of it seek it out as a means of waging war against their enemies. We had to be sure the boy did not have ulterior motives, and that he was not in the company of those who would control him for their own purposes.
Greybeard 2: Each of you accepted and respected his wishes without trying to persuade him otherwise.
Greybeard 3: It is proof of where all of your intentions lie.
Greybeard 4: We will teach him, but if he is to learn not only how to use, but to also control the thu'um, he will have to stay with us for some time.
Eradros: How long are we talking about?
Greybeard 5: It is up to the boy. He will have to venture into world eventually if he is to learn all that we can teach.
Eradros thought for a moment before turning around to Kinetrius and the others.
Eradros: So what do you think kiddo? We doing this or what?
Kinetrius: What other choice do we have? We've come this far.
Eradros: Perfect. This will give me time to handle some old business.
Kinetrius: Wait,...you're not staying?
Eradros: Afraid not lad. Besides you don't need me for this part, and you'll have Gavhelus here with you.
Kinetrius grew quiet after hearing the news. He was clearly unhappy about this but Eradros did not seem to notice. One of the greybeards stepped toward them and politely put out his arm to direct them to where they should go.
Greybeards: Right this way Dragonborn. I will direct you to the rooms you and your guest will be occupying.
Eradros: Chin up now. The next time we meet, we'll be putting an end all this. This is no time to be sulking.
Kinetrius turned away to face the man leading the way. He paused for a moment.
Kinetrius: Yeah,...until next time.
He then began to follow behind the man to his room as Eradros turned toward the door.
Eradros: Come Minevi. We must get those injuries seen to in town.
As they both made they're way to the door, they passed Gavhelus who was leaning against the wall.
Gavhelus: The kid ain't too happy about this.
Eradros stopped for a moment next to Gavhelus.
Eradros: (sighs),...Does he have to be?
Gavhelus: yeah,...I suppose you have a point there. Safe travels my friend.
Gavhelus stood up off of the wall and began following Kinetrius as Minevi and Eradros made their exit. They were beginning their decent down the steps when Minevi stopped by the chest out front. Eradros was in front and had not noticed her hesitation.
Minevi: What is this?
Eradros: What is what?
Minevi: This lie that you're playing out in front of us. All of a sudden you've got somewhere to be? What's really going on?
Eradros stopped walking without turning around to face her.
Eradros: You think I intend to leave him here, is that it?
Minevi: I would like to think you wouldn't just abandon him like this, but that's surely what it looked like to him.
Eradros: And what will you do? Are you going to stay by his side to tuck him in every night? Make him feel safe?
Minevi: I think you know that I can't stay either,...I was ordered to report back at my earliest convenience, and seeing as how he won't be moving for a while,...now's as good a time as any. But this isn't about me is it?
Eradros: I'll admit,...before I laid eyes on that dragon that day; The plan was to get the kid and bring him here. Simple favor for an old friend. I didn't know what Falwon meant by all that hero stuff. It honestly went over my head. But then I realized, whatever plans I had after dropping the lad off were pointless with this type of threat at our doorstep.
Minevi: So why does it seem like just that is happening? Why are you leaving?
Eradros: It's not complicated luv. At this very moment there is nothing I can do for him. But there is something I can do for myself. Before we take on this immense threat,... I want to have nothing holding me back.
Minevi: I,...I just hope you know what you're doing with him is all.
Eradros: Well I don't. I have no earthly idea of what's right for him or what he needs. All I can do is try to give him my best self. Whatever good that'll do him.
Minevi: I think it'll do him all the good in the world.
Eradros: We'll let's hope you're right about that. Now come on, we need to get you looked at before sundown.
Minevi: Aye aye captain!
Eradros: Don't call me that.
With that settled, the two made their way down the mountain. The path was much safer with the snow troll gone, and they still had some daylight on their side. Eradros did not elaborate on what he intended to do, but Minevi had heard what she needed to hear from him. It was now only a matter of time before Kinetrius would be able to step into his calling.
4 days later at the temple of High Hrothgar
The temple was echoing with the sound of swords clanging this morning. Gavhelus and Kinetrius were out in the yard training. They had been at it since sunrise. Kinetrius was covered in dirt and sweat from being felled by Gavhelus several times, and was going down once more. He hit the dirt and rolled a bit to create distance, but he was too tired to take up his stance. He simply kneeled using his sword to catch his breath.
Gavhelus: You're not focusing lad. Somethin' on your mind?
Kinetrius: I'm fine. Run it again.
He stood up and dusted himself off before getting ready to attack.
Gavhelus: If you say so.
Kinetrius went in for the attack. Running low to the ground while clutching his sword, he rushed in to attack Gavhelus. Gavhelus simply stood there with his great sword in the ground and his hands on the hilt. Kinetrius went in for a leaping slash. Gavhelus dodges it by simply moving his head. Kinetrius swung again and again, but all of his swings were avoided with ease. Suddenly Gavhelus pulled his the sword out of the ground as Kinetrius was coming in for yet another attack. He stepped to the side as the boy leaped in. He caught Kinetrius in the stomach by the dull end of the blade. He then swung him around on it, throwing him to the ground after a full rotation.
Gavhelus: C'mon kid,...you think I like puttin' you in the dirt like this?
Kinetrius was coughing from the impact while getting up from ground slowly.
Gavhelus: Alright I'll admit it is a bit of fun. But there is definitely something distracting you lad. Better to spit it out now than to let it eat you up from the inside.
Kinetrius sat down on the ground and dropped his blade. He sat for a moment in his thoughts before speaking.
Kinetrius: I don't get it,...
Gavhelus: Hm?
Kinetrius: Am I that much of a burden to him?
Gavhelus: Seems that way huh?
Kinetrius: Am I wrong?
Gavhelus: I'll put it this way lad,...The man is one of many secrets. He's spent a lifetime stealing from people and running away from authority. I imagine that kind of person isn't built for a task such as yours.
Kinetrius: So he isn't coming back then...
Gavhelus: I'm saying that he's gone to become a person more suited for the job. I don't know much about him. I'm sure no one does save your father and the girl, but everything he's done so far has been for your sake. I'm sure whatever he's gone off to do is no different.
Gavhelus plopped down on a nearby rock and pulled out a flask; only to realize it was empty the moment he put it to his mouth. He chucked it to the side in frustration and continued talking.
Gavhelus: If I were you, I'd focus more on what I could bring to the table. This next arc of your life is going to be the most exciting yet. We're going to need our leading man to be ready.
Kinetrius: Do you really think I can? Defeat the dragons I mean.
Gavhelus: Well I sure hope so. Or else this story's going to suck.
They both shared a laugh for moment. The sun was high now and the had both worked up a great appetite from training.
Gavhelus: Come. Let's go see what these geezers got in here to eat.
Kinetrius: Sure thing.
They both got up and went back into the temple. Gavhelus's words had given the boy some peace. He could finally start focusing on the task at hand without being racked with guilt. He wanted to become better than he was, and now he had the courage to do so.
Chapter End
Fin...