Ch 1: Reunion

The room was quiet. Too quiet.

Then Kouyou heaved a sigh, "one of us has to start talking eventually..."

Everyone's eyes were downcast.

Verlaine smiled faintly, "I suppose you're right."

The three executives were sitting in the meeting room. Their fourth member was absent and as for their boss...

"I can't believe..." Chuuya shook his head, folding his arms over the big table. "Tell me again what happened..."

Kouyou sifted through the papers in front of her. She took a breath before saying, "two days ago at 5:48 AM Mori-san was killed. He and his murderer died at the same time. Due to a singularity between their skills, Elise still lives... We don't know much else right now, but we can all feel the organization's unrest..."

Chuuya kneaded his forehead, "this is just..."

Verlaine cleared his throat quietly, "we have a decision to make..."

Kouyou nodded, "we don't have Bukowski here to vote with us, but i think we can all agree that he won't contribute much."

The men both nodded. Then the room was quiet once more.

"Where is Elise?" Chuuya asked.

"I've kept her at my place under Golden Demon's supervision... She hasn't been taking the situation very well, but she's begun acting more like a real person."

Chuuya nodded with a soft sigh, "where do we even go from here..."

Verlaine chuckled, "isn't it obvious? We need a new boss. Well, maybe not. I believe we can all contribute to running the organization. *But* we need a face so there is a "boss" for our subordinates to look up to..."

Both Verlaine and Kouyou looked at Chuuya in unison.

"Huh? Why me?!"

Kouyou and Verlaine shared a look. Then they both said in unison, "because everyone looks up to you."

Chuuya blinked. "What?"

"And you're the most sane of all of us executives," Verlaine chuckled.

"And the youngest. People are always more willing to accepting pretty faces," Kouyou nodded.

Chuuya sighed, "but... there's no way I can run and entire mafia..."

"We'll all help you," Verlaine chuckled, "I'm sure Bukowski can be convinced to put some effort in."

Chuuya put his head in his hands, "Mori didn't leave a will or anything?..."

Kouyou sighed, "we're still sorting through his personal belongings. I want to ask Elise for help, but I think we should give her more time..."

"Right," Chuuya ran his hands down his face, "then I guess we don't have much choice right now..."

Verlaine chuckled, "I look forward to seeing how things change..."

——————

Sigma's chair fell over as he abruptly stood up.

"What's wrong?!" Atsushi exclaimed as he jumped up from his own chair.

Everyone at the Armed Detective Agency went on high alert, directing their attention at the man with two-toned hair.

"It's the Port Mafia!" He pointed out the window.

Three sleek, black cars had pulled up in front of the agency building.

Kunikida hurried over and peered out. He pushed up his glasses, "be cautious. They haven't rushed out so I don't believe they are planning a head-on attack. They obviously aren't trying to be stealthy, either..."