CHAPTER SIXTY ONE

Emerald's pov

The rest of the night was boring, as there was nobody I could talk to since I was the only one at home, and Neriah left me hanging.

I found it hard to sleep as I kept rolling on the bed continuously, before I decided to call Josh.

"What's up, bro?" He picked.
"What do you mean? Is that what you're supposed to say to your little brother?" I asked.
"It's a surprise that you called. Since I have been the one calling, and you didn't make any effort to call me since I've left, I know there's a reason behind this call, so what's up?"

He was right, if Neriah was still online and we were still chatting, I wouldn't have called him, not to mention having the thought to do so. I just needed someone to talk to, to kill the boredom before I went to sleep. I would have resolved to play video games, but I wasn't in the mood to play.

"I missed you, that's all." I said.
"You are acting weird this night. You good?" He asked.
"Sure. Can't I miss my brother?" I asked.
"You can, but the way you said it sounded gay-ish." He chuckled.
"Anyways, how are you doing?" I asked.
"I'm good. Although, the new task that comes with the promotion is a herculean one, but anything for the dough, right?"
"Yeah. Sure."
"Have you called mom or dad since I've been away?" He asked.
"No?"
"What do you mean by no?! Why haven't you realized that they are doing all this because of us?! Although, they might seem nonchalant about your well-being, they love you. They really do, Emerald."

I was not prepared to have the conversation with him; I only called to tell him about the date with Neriah, the following day.

"Why do you always support them?" I was forced to reply.
"They are meant to be my guardians, not you. They called themselves my parents, but they haven't set their eyes on me for over three weeks, nor have they checked the school they enrolled me in. Tell me, do you still believe that they care for me?" I asked.

He was silent for a few seconds. He sighed and said, "Fine, they are guilty of all these, but they are still your parents, regardless. No one is perfect, just know that they really love you. A tip for you, it hurts them to be such kind of parents, but you should know that these trips, which they usually embark on, put food on the table for everyone of us, and more." He convinced me.
"Okay, I promise to change, henceforth." I said, so he could stop coaxing me.

"I'm going on a date tomorrow."
"With who?" He said, before I could continue.
"With that girl, if you still remember."
"Really?! That's my boy. I know you understand the game far better than I do." He teased.
"Stop it, please." I smiled.

"Well, I'm not sure of what to wear. Can you recommend some clothes I could wear tomorrow?" I added.

"Uhmm, the cloth I bought for you, as your birthday present, last summer isn't bad." He suggested. 
"The blue t-shirt?" I asked. 
"Yeah. You just need to dress simple, but unique since it's not a night date." He said
"And, use my perfume. The strawberry flavour." He added. 
"That? I can just use mine. Besides, what's the big deal with the type of perfume I use?" I asked. 
"Believe me, it has helped with my dates. All the girls with whom I went on dates while using it always complimented its smell." He explained. 
"Really?" I scowled.
"Yeah. I'd have told you what more to do, but you are also not new to this." He said. 

I asked him to book two spots for Neriah and me in a restaurant he knows is perfect for a date, which he did and sent me the address. 

We talked about other things before we ended the call, and I slept afterwards. 

I woke up past nine in the morning, and expected Neriah to have called or texted me. I quickly opened the message app since she didn't call, unfortunately, she didn't text either. 

"Is this girl messing with me right now?" I fumed. 

I tapped my phone's screen with my fingers repeatedly, thinking of what to do, and decided to text her. 

"But you promised to call last night, or are we still in the night?" I cleared it, with the thought that it might seem rude to her, which she might find offending, and I don't want to, due to what I have for her. 

"Good morning, sleepy head!" I texted her. 

She was not online when I sent it. I impatiently stayed on her chat until she replied after over thirty minutes. 

"Good morning, Watchman." She replied. 

"It seems this girl is already taking me for a fool just because I've been acting lovey-dovey towards her. No apology for yesterday or anything!" I scoffed, still staying on the chat. 

"Hey, you good?" She added. 
"Yes." I replied after some minutes. 
"Hey, what's up? What did I do now?" She replied. 
"At least, you know you are at fault." 

She called after seeing the message, but I declined. If I didn't, I would not act cold for the time being, as intended, because I smile most times I'm with her or when I see her beautiful face. 

"What's wrong? It's unusual of you to decline my call.You can tell me." She said, using a voice note.

Hearing her tiny, sexy, and soothing voice while I listened to the voice note made me smile sheepishly. 

"You sound sexy this morning, Neriah! Are you trying to bribe me?" I had to drop my ego. 

"Well, you said you were going to call me yesterday and you didn't, not even a text." I added. 
"I'm sorry about that." She replied. 
"Just that?" I asked. 
"What do you expect apart from being sorry? I slept off last night; that was why I couldn't call you back." She explained. 
"At least, you need to compensate me with something." I smiled, as I sent the text. 
"Something like what?" 
"Something that some people who are not just acquaintances do on dates, which some abstain from." I texted. 
"Be precise, Emerald! Stop beating around the bush." She replied. 

I didn't want to spill it out because I believed that she knew what I was talking about. 

"You owe me a date today, yeah? So, you should compensate me by actually showing up, first." I ignored her reply. 
"Do you have a feeling I would not?"
"If I'm being honest, yes." I replied. 

"You're there?" I had to text because I was curious if her silence meant she would not show up. 

"I will show up, it's a promise." She finally replied. 
"I knew you would." I teased. 
"But you said that you were not sure if I would show up, just now!" She retorted. 
"Who would shove off a date with a handsome guy like me? I was sure you'd show up from the start." I lied. 
"lol" She replied. 
"We'd talk later. I need to do some housework since I'm the only one at home. I'll send you the address of the venue because I've booked some spots for us since you ghosted yesterday." 
"That's very thoughtful of you. At least you're not just handsome, but smart as well." She replied. 
"Ayyy! Someone is finally admitting that I am." I replied with a grinning emoji. 
"Lol.You're not serious. " She replied. 
"I'll call you when I'm about to leave for the venue, okay?" 
"okay." She hung up.

I quickly ate some snacks, which I brought from a grocery store the previous day since I was not a heavy eater, and did some housework.

I was set at exactly 3 p.m. and ordered an Uber to the location. I called her while I was on my way, but she didn't pick up. She later called me after a few minutes to tell me she was on her way. 

I waited, still doubting if she would show up. 

I saw her coming out of a car, walking majestically, smiling at me. 

I have always heard about a perfect 'figure 8' until I saw her as she approached me, which made me wonder why I never noticed it until now. 

"Perfect timing." I pulled out a seat for her. 
"Thank you." She replied. 
"Don't mind this place, I know it's not up to..."
"Up to what? oh please! I love it, it's so inviting and calm."I grinned in satisfaction.

We ordered and ate ice cream and discussed our personal lives and our past relationships.

"I never knew you could drive." I told her.
"There are so many things I can do, you don't know." She replied. 
"Like ride me?" I teased. 
She almost choked on the portion of ice cream in her mouth, hearing what I said. 
"Jeez Neriah! Take it easy!" I laughed 
"What did you say?" She asked, wide-eyed. 
"You are so flirty! Emerald!"
"I didn't mean it that way, you are dirty minded. Obviously, you can ride me to different places, you know? We can explore the world together, while you ride me—with your car, you know. I don't know what you are thinking, Neriah." I lied. 

"I should be going home now." She announced, while I was still enjoying her company. 
"Alright." I said, and I went to pay the bills. 

We walked to her car together. 

"You need to step up your game, bro!" A voice rang in my head. 

I pulled her close while we were outside the restaurant and said, "Thank you for your time today," and kissed her. 

I thought she would resist, but she didn't.
I think she was ready for it, after all.

"That's what I mean by compensating me for what you did, last night." I said, as we pulled away from the kiss. 

She only blushed and smiled, as she got into her car. 

"Bye." I waved at her, and she drove off.

"Finally!" I celebrated after she left.

I ordered an Uber service to leave for home.