CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"Hey, I might not have red hair nor broad shoulders or even blonde ponytail for that matter but I'm here to listen and help." Veronica slowly said as she entered the empty room he was assigned with Jade.

Jughead couldn't help but smile remembering the very sentence he once used when he found her alone and sad.

"You remember that? It's the first nice thing you said to me in the beginning." Veronica softly said sitting beside Jughead.
"I doubt it was the first." He gave a slight chuckle, looking down a bit. It was their last weeks and most of the assigned work Steven assigned were indoors which was the time they spent reading all their novels.

It was a nice feeling Jughead felt, he needed someone like Veronica to take his mind off the troubles. It was a win win situation but he didn't think he started this journey and ended up liking Veronica as his friend.
"Hey, are you okay?" She asked making sure she doesn't scare him or anything.

"I'm fine," he replied, opting to stare at the space rather than her face.
"Jughead." Veronica called out, they were both sorted on a desk closer than they should.
"It's okay if you don't trust me but please don't lock me away if it has anything to do with my father."
"You out of all people should understand what it's like." She reminded.

Jughead turned towards her with a heavy sigh. Yeah he was avoiding her but he knew he had to because they'll just end up hurting each other considering there from different sides and what better way of avoiding their friendship's growth than avoiding her.

But that was just part of it, something that didn't hurt him so much.

"I know, I'm sorry." He apologized. Veronica was a person who was smart and judging from the time he spent with him, he wasn't in his mood because of her, offended yes but she figured there was more to what he was saying.

"Uhm, is there something else going on Jug? I feel like this has little to do with anything about me." She asked.

"Betty and I broke up." Jughead said under his breath. Yeah there it was, the reason he was acting all weird and sad. Jughead was undergoing a major breakup.
Veronica was a bit shocked, part of her knew that it was gonna happen anytime soon even though she didn't want to admit it to him. Jughead really loved Betty, her ex best friend and sometimes she would just be jealous of it, it was perfect but she guessed some things are too good to be true just like her messed up family.

"I'm really sorry Jug, I didn't know she broke up with you." Veronica slightly pat her friend.
"What!? What are you talking about?" Jughead quickly turned towards Vee in aghast.

"Umm, i said sorry."

"Why would you think she broke up with me?" Jughead angrily asked standing from where he sat.
" Jughead, I just assumed-" "-oh because I deserve getting dumped!?" He cried out.

It was obvious Jughead was hurt and he was lashing out on her. Veronica understood that but she needed to calm him since it wasn't gonna help with her lashing back.

"Jughead I'm sorry, I really am." Veronica slowly made her way towards him and put her hand on his arms.
"But you must calm down and you're a serpent prince and guess what...you told me serpents don't cry." She smiled. Veronica was trying to make fun of him but at the same time Jughead knew she was trying to cheer him up.

Jughead gave a small smile at her, his green eyes shinning towards her brown orbs. For a moment there Veronica felt a tingling sensation in her and it was unexplainable. Realising her hands were still onto Jughead's arms, she pulled away.

"Another time don't tell people I tried to cry." Jughead said but Veronica just crossed her arms around her chest.

"Don't test me or I will." She laughed when she noticed the sudden heavy rain outside.
"Oh my God, it's raining." Veronica made her way to the window.
"Yeah, that means, we are gonna be here for a while and we didn't carry any of our novels." Jughead laughed in disbelief.