14. sandwich

She's half on Himeno's back — giggling as they almost careen into another post. Aki frowns, steadies them with a hand. Careful.

Reze's surprised he came at all. Himeno'd teased him: about going home alone, to nothing, and then he'd towed along with them in the end.

I'm tired, Reze whines as they stumble up the apartment stairs — their shadows writhing on the glossiness of the moonlit walls.

Keys ! Himeno screeches when they reach a door. Keyskeyskeys!

That's my pocket you're fumbling in, Reze informs her.

Shit, sorry Himeno whines I need a smoke. Aki presses something shiny into the older woman's palm.

Use these.

You have spare keys to her place? Reze's laugh echoes oddly down the corridor. Aki rolls his eyes and creaks open the door. It's all minimalist, strange and unHimeno but Reze doesn't care. She staggers to the sofa and sinks into it with a groan. It's hot. Why's it hot?

Himeno waggles her eyebrows from where she's shimmying out of her coat and opens her mouth —

Ugh, says Aki as his shaking hands attempt to pour himself some water. Drop it. I have a massive headache.

Reze's only happy to. She's out like a light.

There's a hand on her back — it pinches, it hurts. The room smells of toast. She burrows deeper into the sofa and mumbles under her breath. Leavemealone.

Himeno laughs. You can't sleep now, silly! Makima's asking for you.

Reze's eyes open to be assailed by relentless sunlight. What?

But she doesn't get an explanation — even as she's hastened to the doorway, clothes pressed into her hands.

Instead, she gets a sandwich. Aki gives her an unreadable look before handing her a small tiffin box, says — It's for the trip. But you should go now.

And so she does.

a/n: pleeease do comment i don bite but i will die here from my absolute lack of shame in asking <3