17. fork

You're insane, Reze declares finally when they're nearing Makima's apartment. The buzz of the streetlights is interrupted by the other woman's soft laugh.

You're happy about it, aren't you? It all being under your control? Her voice is a furtive whisper but Makima only glances back at her, amusement in her eyes.

If that's what you want to believe.

Reze laughs. I do believe it, you know.

Well, says Makima — there's a hole in her chest — says — I didn't need them. But I do need you.

Reze takes a shuddering breath, looks away too quickly.

It's even later when Makima's pulling out cartons of old tupperware out of the fridge that Reze says: That's why you pulled me out today.

The drawer sounds with the metallic clatter of cutlery. They wanted you. I couldn't take that risk.

Reze forces herself to speak. How many how many are dead?

Seconds pass. Breathless, relentless silence. Silence that cuts. Makima sets down two gleaming plates on the counter.

Reze rephrases the question. Who survived?

Makima turns to face her. Her eyes study Reze carefully as she says Kobeni. Quite an asset, that one. And Madoka too, but you knew that already.

Oh, Reze says. So then Aki and Himeno are —

she grips the counter. Oh.

Makima tilts her head. Are you upset?

No! Reze answers quickly. Pauses, catches her breath. I don't know. The stifling room makes her want to fill the space, that odd silence with words. Should I – shouldn't I feel bad?

Makima shakes her head. That's alright.

I think, Reze says in a rush, almost tripping over her words — I think when Pochita died I lost that part of me. That I can't feel sad anymore. Like I'm — broken. All rattling and empty and fake. Words hover unsaid in the air.

Would you feel bad if I died? Makima's voice is curious.

A little. Reze looks up at her. Yeah, she lies. I probably would.

You wouldn't, Makima says. You wouldn't feel a thing.

She turns back towards the table, starts spreading the table mats. Places glimmering cutlery in neat rows. Like metal teeth.

You're right about Pochita , the older woman continues. Devils don't really feel. She takes a seat, smiles lightly up at Reze. I don't.

Huh?

Makima's eyes are all golden and wrong and warm as she says: You're not alone.