19. teeth

She's gone a little mad after a point — after a death upon death. Who's counting? There's little she can do except laugh, drink in the blood hungrily, wrap herself in a veil of uncaring that swallows Kishibe's ruthlessness with a blinding deliriousness: a sort of delicious decadence with which she welcomes the pain and the burning.

With which she fights that awful unconscious with the edge of her lips and with salt on her tongue.

She learns how to bleed and it's laughably easy — easier, she's sure, because she's alone. There's no one to compare herself to (no one to remind her of how far she's falling).

Kishibe's blades are as cold as steel and his knuckles have edges that teach her about this currency, this life of flesh and bone. It becomes almost normal: to lose herself in the rhythm of her own screams as the chainsaw splits open her skull.

A week or so later, they let her loose upon the attackers.

She cuts through hordes of zombies and fights a katana-wielding lunatic in a basement. When he's defeated, human and restrained and on his knees in front of her, he fixes her with a glare and tells her about his grandfather, of all people.

Reze stabs him in the balls.

His gurgles of pain accompany her delighted laughter in that cold, cold basement.

You killed him.

Reze whips around to come face to face with a devil with wings. He's fucking immortal. He'll be fine.

The redhead raises their eyebrow — the midday sun makes their pale face gleam as they walk forward — and they say devils are ruthless, huh?

Their voice is contemplative, even when Reze registers the human head they're cradling in their arms with slight shock.

Katana groans as Reze sneers. What's it to you?

Aah, you're angry, the Angel says, their teeth a vivid red. You don't smell human though, do you?

You're awfully pretty for a Devil, aren't you? Reze conjectures. Her hair's come out of its bun and there's blood smeared on her chin. She can only imagine how wild she must look. Devil to devil. Bloody teeth to a bloody smile.

The Angel stares at her for a beat. I'm tired, they say. So keep quiet.

Their hair's a shade lighter than Makima's, Reze notices as they retreat into the shadows. A devil, huh?

She turns her attention back to Katana, who's come to. Screaming's awfully fun, don't you think?