Chapter Five:

**Kay**

**Kay**

The sun beamed over our heads. As soon as the babies and I reached the sand, a smile took over my face. It could've been the fresh air, or the smell of the water, but the combination of the two mixed with the joyous giggles of my children filled my heart with joy. I looked down at them as I forced their stroller through the dry sand. They beamed up at me. I knew once I reached wet sand, I'd struggle. By then I planned to let them get out and make a mess.

"Now where's Jade." Pulling my phone out of the diaper bag, I glanced at the time and if there were any new messages. Nothing. Silence. I knew we agreed on an hour, but I was purposely late stepping out of our condo for this reason; Jade's 'I'll be there in five,' actually equaled to 'I'll be there in thirty, maybe forty, tops.' If she were late, it'd make sense. I could just chill and wait.

"Kind of defeats the purpose." We reached the patches of sand just feet from the water. It was cool beneath my feet. Sand found its way into my flip-flops but this way, I knew, my twins could sit and have fun. But this also meant their matching yellow and green outfits would get dirty. Whatever photos Jade wanted to take would have them covered in sand. I mean, that's what happened with children, right? Cute outfits ruined in minutes.

That was okay.

With the way they laughed and smiled, they needed this kind of messy fun.

"Okay, out we go." Opening the middle flap of the bag, I pulled out the blanket I brought for our mini outdoor trip. I was glad it fit because I hadn't planned on bringing more than the essentials, but I also knew I couldn't have my kids straight butts on the beach. They were going to get dirty but I needed to keep them comfy.

Once I laid the orange blanket beside my feet, I reached for Paris first. Her eyes crinkled as she giggled, blowing raspberries at my face. "Mamamama," she said.

"Yes," I laughed, "Mama's bring y'all out for some fun today."

Adonis was next; Mr. grump-pants. He scrunched his nose as I lifted him but the second I pulled him into a hug, his frown turned upside down. He reached for my earrings before I placed him beside his sister. Then he laughed. "Okay, Donny, you're not mad now, huh?"

He stuck his tongue out to me, his hazel eyes picking up every bit of sunlight.

As I dropped down beside my children, making sure to keep them next to me, I sighed and smiled. They were twins but I found myself and Brian in them in equal parts. Sometimes I felt like Donny looked a little like Jun, but that was only the eyes. Paris had Brian's golden spheres of light and when she looked at me, I swore I saw the world in them. It made me smile.

Brian said she looked like me the most, with hair just as curly as mine. Our noses were identical, too. I wanted to say her smile was mine, but at this age, it could've been anyone's. How would she look in five years?